Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 23LSV Cup Holder Assembly Loose

So I got the 'bu out of storage earlier this year and noticed a strange issue. The molded assembly that has the 5 cup holders was hanging loose. The bottom is attached fine, but the top is no longer connected. Turns out both port and starboard panels were hanging loose.  After some investigation, it appears that the top edge of it has a softer "rubber" attached to it. There was one bolt on each side that went through this rubber and bolted to the grab handle about 3 inches above what you "see" as the top of the handle.

Besides the fact the material is probably inferior to hold this up over time, Malibu didn't even bother to bolt this through both grab handles on each side. I assume this came loose because of the age of the material, heat humidity, etc. I was surprised they both failed the same winter. The material weakened so much that the assembly just ripped itself away from the both.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any ideas how to repair it?

Thanks.

I have this same issue.  It's likely the jarring of the boat that eventually cause it to fail.  I know when it rains I get a bit if rain through the tower opening which leaks down to those cup holders.  The 1 screw holding each side of the assembly up just ripped itself away.  I used zip ties to hold it back up.  Even those however, have given over time.  

1 hour ago, saxton15 said:

I have this same issue.  It's likely the jarring of the boat that eventually cause it to fail.  I know when it rains I get a bit if rain through the tower opening which leaks down to those cup holders.  The 1 screw holding each side of the assembly up just ripped itself away.  I used zip ties to hold it back up.  Even those however, have given over time.  

Exact same issue and fix for me.

I'm planning on coming up with a better fix this summer.  I've started to notice some stuff like that, and some interior panels not being as tight as they used to be.  

I noticed the same at 70 hours new! I replaced any nut with a lock washer with nylocs to include the shaft coupler nuts. One of the previously mentioned cup holder panels I actually made an HDPE back plate for until I found out I could just zip tie them on. Normally my OCD wont let me subscribe to Outta sight, outta mind but I finally got tired of screwing with it.

Sounds like I will just have to tear it apart and build something. Most likely, I will add a piece of aluminum or poly down the entire length so there is something more solid to bolt to and have multiple points of attachment to the assembly.

I also went with the zip ties a couple of years ago.  I also don't like those type of solutions but it is really easy out of sight and not a big deal to put another zip tie on if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to disassemble this section of covers? Some guidance will help me from tearing apart more than I need to so I can repair the piece that tore. I plan to take this apart on Sunday or Monday. Thanks.

Edited by zornman

You are going to want to pull both speakers out so you will have enough access/room to get to all of the nuts holding the panel on and it will take quite a bit of weight off of the panel. And to do a one time fix you are going to need to see the bad stuff. 1/8" Allen head for the speakers and speaker covers and 3/8" for everything else IIRC.

Edited by wdr
15 minutes ago, CJO78 said:

This happened to both mine on my 2011 LSV, I bought replacement panels (think they were $250 each) but haven’t installed yet.

They will break again. Before you install the new ones I would definately reinforce the back side where the original ones broke.