Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme Trailer issue

Heard

Over the weekend one of my wheels on our 2009 Extreme trailer got stuck in the up position while unloading our VLX. I believe the torsion bar suspension is stuck. Tried to kick it down but had no luck. Will the wheel need to be taken off so I can get a pry bar in there to hopefully bring it down? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

On 6/18/2018 at 7:43 AM, Bozboat said:

I would guess the torsion suspension is broken and you will need a new axle.  

Im slowly coming to this realization lol. On the plus side, UFP Dexter is going to warranty the axles and send me out new ones at no cost. Ill just have to get them painted and install them. Can't see them being in before the end of summer though unfortunately :Frustrated: I am going to have to hopefully find a way to bandage the trailer up enough to get me the 50ft to and from the boat launch since we do not have a dock or lift at our campground.

1 minute ago, Heard said:

Im slowly coming to this realization lol. On the plus side, UFP Dexter is going to warranty the axles and send me out new ones at no cost. Ill just have to get them painted and install them. Can't see them being in before the end of summer though unfortunately :Frustrated: I am going to have to hopefully find a way to bandage the trailer up enough to get me the 50ft to and from the boat launch since we do not have a dock or lift at our campground.

Why not put them in right away?  That is only a couple hour job.  Can be done with the boat on the trailer, easier without.

4 minutes ago, Heard said:

50 ft each way, I would think you could just use it as it until repair day.  (if oldjeep can do this in three hours, I could do it in under 8 hours)

Edited by Bozboat
52 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Why not put them in right away?  That is only a couple hour job.  Can be done with the boat on the trailer, easier without.

I live in Canada. When talking with UFP they said it would take at least two weeks to process the claim then a few weeks to actually receive the axles. We have July/August for a summer more or less here for perfect boating weather. I will be putting them on right away but unfortunately the summer will almost be over by that time.

I believe the arm those axles is clamped on to a splined shaft.  Maybe the clamping bolt came loose, and you can just remove and reinstall the arm, clocked to the correct position?

6 minutes ago, MadMan said:

I believe the arm those axles is clamped on to a splined shaft.  Maybe the clamping bolt came loose, and you can just remove and reinstall the arm, clocked to the correct position?

This is what I am going to check tonight after I get the wheel off to take a closer look. I am hoping that even if the axle twisted and skipped a notch on the inner rubbers that I can either bottle jack it down or else remove the clamping bolt and rotate it enough to pull the tire down and keep it down long enough for the new axles to get in. UFP is going to send me new axles as soon as I can get them serial numbers so no matter what those will be getting put on at the end of the season.

33 minutes ago, MadMan said:

More likely the case is that the rubber housed torsion bar spun inside the square axle housing. When I replaced my front axle (bent torsion bar) I had to drive a cold chisel in to the gap in the torsion arm to be able to remove it from the torsion bar inside of the axle. It was still a beast to get off even seperated. 

Edited by wdr

Getting the torsion arm to be correctly indexed on the replacement axle in relation to the other arm on the same side will probably require you to remove the other tire so you can get the correct unloaded arm location.

20 hours ago, wdr said:

More likely the case is that the rubber housed torsion bar spun inside the square axle housing. When I replaced my front axle (bent torsion bar) I had to drive a cold chisel in to the gap in the torsion arm to be able to remove it from the torsion bar inside of the axle. It was still a beast to get off even seperated. 

The torsion arms were definitely rusted on and weren't moving an inch with the tools I had. I ended up removing the fender for the time being. The wheel didnt seem to move at all when all the boat weight was on it so hopefully this will work to move it the 50-100ft to and from the boat launch until UFP sends me my new axles......:Frustrated: