Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Side mount surf tow points - help

WhiteWaterWeb

Hi all - I hope you had a great weekend. Quick question for you: can anyone show me where the tower side mount surf tow points go on a 2018 21 VLX? I think I know but when I removed the plastic caps the threading was different on the tower vs. the mounts the dealer sent me (they forgot to add these to the tower and sent them to me via mail to install on my own).

Now, I know I don’t really need these but I asked about them as they were included in my pricing for the boat - and now that I have removed those plastic plugs it looks funny not having anything there.

It is definitely the wrong thread - could I have been sent the wrong ones?

Thanks.

They are supposed to help beginner surfers get up easier - towing from the side of the tower on their surf side....getting them outside the wake on initial start. Honestly I might never use them at all but now I need something to cover that hole I have in my tower where they are supposed to mount.

Be prepared to deal with the nearly impossible task of trying to get the black crinkle finish on the tower refinished and the rope pulling on your high dollar clamping rack and surf boards. Just sayin...

I got them for the first time this year and really don't like them.  I never thought about new riders but its just awkward otherwise.  I've gone back to the tower mount for surfing.  I will delete them next time.  

Agreed...mine will now simply be cosmetic and a feature for the next buyer of our boat - should we ever upgrade. I invested in transom protection anyway...getting the kids up behind the boat is first, then getting up off the transom and into the pocket is next (when they are comfortable with surfing, etc.).

I just got mine from our dealer and put them on our G4 Tower.  At first I thought they were a different thread also, but seems that the holes might just need to be tapped to clean up the powder coat in the threads.  Didn't know how much I would use them, but took my 11 year old daughter out this weekend and after 4 attempts using the side pull she was able to get up and start working the wave.  If I would have used the center pull then think it might have taken a little longer to get her up since she was having trouble getting the board to move to that side and with a bigger wave coming down the hill can be pretty intimidating for the younger ones.