Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 EXHAUSTED MANIFOLD LEAKING

fishermen1918

CAN A 2004 MALIBU WAKESETTER VLX 

EXHAUSTED MANIFOLD'S STARBOARD BE WELDED??  I JUST PURCHASED THIS BOAT AND NOTICED IT  WAS LEAKING .. 

IT HAS THE HAMMERHEAD WITH INDMAR ( MANIFOLDS) I BELIEVE ..

THANKS ALL FOR ANY HELP AS  LOOKING ON THE NET IS SHOWING $700.00 

Pretty common issue, I would guess that welding would be very difficult but who know what someone can do with the right skills. Is there a crack in the riser/manifold? Have you checked the gaskets for leaks....cause I would say that even if this leak could be welded/repaired for this issue, can virtually guarantee you, that you will very soon have more similar issues. Best to do it right if you have the means since it will last that way and not leave you stranded one day at worst possible time (since that is how it always goes).

I am sure others will chime in that have deal with this on their boats.

It's UNDER NEITH AND DIFFICUlT TO SEE.    i NOTICED THIS ON MY "SEA TRIAL" AND THE DEALER TOOK OFF $500.00 HOWEVER I THROUGH THE PART WOULD BE $250.. NOPE 899.00  

HAS ANYONE HAD THESE'S WELDED ,

ALSO, I SAW THAT SOME OF THESE WERE RECALLEd/WARRANTY AT SOME POINT

I don't remember seeing a USCG recall on Indmar ETX exhaust manifolds and I bet the warranty coverage on that motor has lapsed over a decade ago.  The only service advisory was about the need to drain the manifolds regularly to prevent electrolysis and the availability of replacement weld plugs.  If there are actual cracks, like from freeze damage, it might be a good idea to pressure test the manifold.  Exterior cracks can be welded, interior cracks can hydro-lock and possibly destroy the motor.  Replacement is likely the best way to go.

If its leaking from the casting ports, there are 9 on each exhaust manifold.  They can be welded easy, any welding shop should be able, just have them redo them all.  When I did mine, I took both in.

5 hours ago, onamission said:

If its leaking from the casting ports, there are 9 on each exhaust manifold.  They can be welded easy, any welding shop should be able, just have them redo them all.  When I did mine, I took both in.

^^^This

Dealer came through and  will fix for no Cost.. I will update after repair is made .

thanks all for you time ..I seriously appreciate it ..