Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Pilz

2017 20 VTX 410 exhaust hi temp alarm

Recommended Posts

Pilz

I am getting hi exhaust temp alarm on engine diagnostic screen and Service Required notice on main display and would like advice if I'm missing something on  how to address the cause of the problem and especially how to clear fault, or what sequence of engine operation actually clears the  fault/alarm.  Had the alarm first come on last weekend and after trying to clear it on the display numerous times, cleaned strainer which made the Service notification eventually go away after I turned off/on battery switch .  It happened again this weekend.  Not a lot of debris but some in the strainer both times.  Cleaning it out this weekend wouldn't clear the alarm, even with the battery switch thing.  I checked/flushed pickup, strainer, VDrive cooler, hose from VDrive to pump, and impeller. Ran it all today ok but afraid it will come back next weekend like it did this weekend.  Any help/experience is appreciated.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pilz

I found a thread on web search showed clearing alarm after cleaning strainer involves shutting battery off for 2 mins and 5 starts.  Can anyone confirm?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fman

I had three bad o2 sensors last month, same annoying alarm and service required popping up all day.  According to my dealers mechanic the only way you can clear codes is with a laptop and indmar software.  After they replaced my sensors and cleared codes all is good.  You can easily disconnect that annoying loud alarm module under the dash until you get the codes cleared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
csleaver

Pilz, There was a service bulletin from Indmar to replace faulty exhaust manifold temperature sensors on all 2017 Raptor 6.2 motors below SN 203133.  The new sensors have an orange dot on them.  Have yours been replaced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pilz
9 minutes ago, csleaver said:

Pilz, There was a service bulletin from Indmar to replace faulty exhaust manifold temperature sensors on all 2017 Raptor 6.2 motors below SN 203133.  The new sensors have an orange dot on them.  Have yours been replaced?

Thanks.  Looks like we're going to the dealer.  They haven't been replace...yet...

And yeah. I have to hunt down that alarm device under the dash.

 

 

Soon to be I think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pilz
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, csleaver said:

Pilz, There was a service bulletin from Indmar to replace faulty exhaust manifold temperature sensors on all 2017 Raptor 6.2 motors below SN 203133.  The new sensors have an orange dot on them.  Have yours been replaced?

Anybody know where to get the advisory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
csleaver

A dealer can download it from Indmar.  It is SV2017-2 or SV2017-2MOD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Monkeybutt
19 hours ago, Pilz said:

Anybody know where to get the advisory?

scroll down on this thread

https://www.shoptalkbyindmar.com/advisories

or this one from last year when it happened

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/63463-temp-sensor-62-raptor/

Taking sensors out was first suggestion and then disconnecting battery etc. but warning came back until sensor was replaced.  That cleared the fault code for good - no dealer trip necessary.

That being said - my Supra has the same engine and guess what - took 57 hours to come up with the same problem.  However this time I'm suspecting something else as well:  The day I was out I was cruising at a bit more than idle speed around the lake - RPM around 1000 instead of 670 … well after about 20 minutes - warning comes up and hasn't cleared since (indicating that fuel/oxygen mix is too high) …  However I bought the parts right off from my dealer as I rather have them in my tool kit than spending time hunting them down … (cost $85 a piece).  So if I need one (or 2) they're on the boat already and I can replace them in 5 minutes … easy to get to - see pic in the thread.  So instead of towing to dealer I would get the part and return to broken part back to dealer for warranty claim … I honestly would not bring boat to dealer.  If they need the error code to submit - well send them a picture …

597093 is the part# 

and that being said - they still give out as my engine is above the serial number referenced earlier and so is Fman's I guess …

Edited by Monkeybutt
missed comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
csleaver

Assuming the exhaust is not actually overheating, you can unplug then unscrew the sensors on the exhaust pipes, using a short 3/4 wrench, then plug the sensor back in and position it away from the pipe as a temporary fix until you get them replaced.  The faulty sensors I tested only seemed to go out of range when they were heated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skurfer
On 6/17/2018 at 7:12 AM, Fman said:

I had three bad o2 sensors last month, same annoying alarm and service required popping up all day.  According to my dealers mechanic the only way you can clear codes is with a laptop and indmar software.  After they replaced my sensors and cleared codes all is good.  You can easily disconnect that annoying loud alarm module under the dash until you get the codes cleared.

Are your O2 sensors bad or are they getting wet? I'm guessing the latter. You will continue to have problems until your dealer fixes then from getting wet. Refer to bulletin SV2017-7

I have one in the shop right now, starboard CAT is completely gone and the port CAT is rattling around turning into a sand like substance...All 4 O2 sensors WET....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fman
2 minutes ago, skurfer said:

Are your O2 sensors bad or are they getting wet? I'm guessing the latter. You will continue to have problems until your dealer fixes then from getting wet. Refer to bulletin SV2017-7

I have one in the shop right now, starboard CAT is completely gone and the port CAT is rattling around turning into a sand like substance...All 4 O2 sensors WET....

 

They told me they checked exhaust for leaks and they were bad sensors.  Guess time will tell? so far so good.  I have 127 hours on the boat and about 20 hours since sensors were replaced.

What tests are you doing to determine if they are getting wet or just bad sensors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cole2001

I had sensors replaced on my 16 and so far so good. Fingers crossed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skurfer
27 minutes ago, Fman said:

They told me they checked exhaust for leaks and they were bad sensors.  Guess time will tell? so far so good.  I have 127 hours on the boat and about 20 hours since sensors were replaced.

What tests are you doing to determine if they are getting wet or just bad sensors?

I've never seen a bad sensor that wasn't wet... have them refer to that bulletin, the design of the CAT pipes going into the Y-pipe is a questionable IMO. You have water that is sleeved around the CAT pipe and it goes into the Y-pipe. There is a silicone fitting there. Well, water from the water from the CAT pipe hits the y-pipe, it can splash and travel uphill before going back down and into the CAT pipe, getting post CAT O2 sensor wet, the CAT wet and the pre-CAT O2 sensor wet. Basically, the closer the CAT pipes are to the y-pipe, the more likely you will have a problem. Also, Bank 2 CAT pipe is more prone because it gets the shorter section of the y-pipe..

If you keep going through O2 sensors, your dealer needs to disconnect the CAT pipes from the exhaust manifolds AND the Y-pipe, then re-arrange per the bulletin and put back together perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pilz
16 hours ago, Monkeybutt said:

scroll down on this thread

https://www.shoptalkbyindmar.com/advisories

or this one from last year when it happened

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/63463-temp-sensor-62-raptor/

Taking sensors out was first suggestion and then disconnecting battery etc. but warning came back until sensor was replaced.  That cleared the fault code for good - no dealer trip necessary.

That being said - my Supra has the same engine and guess what - took 57 hours to come up with the same problem.  However this time I'm suspecting something else as well:  The day I was out I was cruising at a bit more than idle speed around the lake - RPM around 1000 instead of 670 … well after about 20 minutes - warning comes up and hasn't cleared since (indicating that fuel/oxygen mix is too high) …  However I bought the parts right off from my dealer as I rather have them in my tool kit than spending time hunting them down … (cost $85 a piece).  So if I need one (or 2) they're on the boat already and I can replace them in 5 minutes … easy to get to - see pic in the thread.  So instead of towing to dealer I would get the part and return to broken part back to dealer for warranty claim … I honestly would not bring boat to dealer.  If they need the error code to submit - well send them a picture …

597093 is the part# 

and that being said - they still give out as my engine is above the serial number referenced earlier and so is Fman's I guess …

Any on line places to buy the part?  I have to get another issue resolved so it's worth taking it in this time but next time, yeah, I will do the replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gorilla

My dealer head mechanic must have just done the SV2017-7 because he tried to describe to me about the water swirling in the couplers and causing reversion. Is there anywhere online where we can read those instructions? I've put only 5 hrs on my boat since he did this and so far, no codes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fman
9 hours ago, skurfer said:

I've never seen a bad sensor that wasn't wet... have them refer to that bulletin, the design of the CAT pipes going into the Y-pipe is a questionable IMO. You have water that is sleeved around the CAT pipe and it goes into the Y-pipe. There is a silicone fitting there. Well, water from the water from the CAT pipe hits the y-pipe, it can splash and travel uphill before going back down and into the CAT pipe, getting post CAT O2 sensor wet, the CAT wet and the pre-CAT O2 sensor wet. Basically, the closer the CAT pipes are to the y-pipe, the more likely you will have a problem. Also, Bank 2 CAT pipe is more prone because it gets the shorter section of the y-pipe..

If you keep going through O2 sensors, your dealer needs to disconnect the CAT pipes from the exhaust manifolds AND the Y-pipe, then re-arrange per the bulletin and put back together perfectly.

I guess at this point I will wait and see what happens.  My dealer has a great mechanic right now, I really trust him and his work.   If it happens again will definitely refer to service bulletins you referenced.  Thanks for the info...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pilz

Dealer is telling me it was an O2 sensor that needed replaced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pilz

And today...it is described as a "bank 2 exhaust manifold skin sensor" needing to be replaced..

SO.... is THIS the sensor (597093) mentioned above or another?  And can someone verify location of this sensor and clarify which is bank 1 and 2 on Monsoon 410 Vdrive?  I plan to buy a sensor and replace myself when this happens again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pilz

Temp sensors and O2 sensor replaced by dealer.  Note that I was told replacement alone doesn't resolve.  Needs software to clear alarm.  I also asked my very local Tige dealer if they can use their Diagnostic software to troubleshoot an Indmar monsoon engine  and clear such issues and they said they can't. .   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×