Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater at idle

I have a complaint about my heater. Perhaps this is just unique to my heater in my boat, but my last boat was the same way. My complaint is that the heater stops putting out hot air when the boat is at an idle. I thought that was just the way it was until last month when I spent a week on a friend's Nautique. The heater on his boat continued to blow out nice hot air even when the boat was at idle. It was really very nice and made me jealous.

How do others' heaters work? Is this just unique to my boat or to Malibus? Is there something I can do to have the heater continue with heat output at idle?

How long have you been on this board? :lol:

Your 06 ought to have the 'y' fitting. Question would be is it installed before or after the impeller. . .

I will have to look. I must admit I have never paid much attention to the heater issue threads because the heater works. My wife is increasingly concerned with being warm and now that much of my regular crew will not be around (college, extended mission trips), I need to try to convince her to come out in the boat this fall. In order to do that, I need to be able to keep her warm. :)

One note... even if you do have the Y-adapter, make sure it is installed BEFORE the impeller rather than after it.

Mine was installed after the impeller and while there was a slight amount of heat at idle, I moved it to before the impeller last weekend and the difference is night and day.

Mike

I couldn't find a picture out on the web, but...

If you look for the two heater lines plumbed into the engine. If one of the lines is connected in either just before or after the impeller and spliced in via an adapter that makes the hoses connect in a "y" fashion then you have the y-adapter. Forgive my pathetic attempt at trying to draw it, but it will essentially look like this.

========/======== <---- water intake hose

/

/

/ <---- heater hose

I think you can get them directly through Heater Craft. I also see that Wakeside is selling them now as well.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/CTGY/heater_craft_brand

Mike

Edited by mlange

Both my '04 & the '06 have them after the impeller unfortunately. I haven't had the hutzpah (sp?) to crawl down in there & switch it. Maybe this winter after I'm a bit more mobile & the boat is out of commission for a while.

Oh & just as a preemptive strike, you DD owners can :biteme:.

For what its worth, I moved my heater "Y" adapter so that it now is installed before the impellor. It made a dramatic difference for low rpm heat. An easy worthwhile modification for sure.

Tracie there is no need to strike at you as we can tell you know the truth by putting up the wall at the start. Let your dealer do it for you!

Hopefully this can answer most of the questions. I have had the same issue with my o4 promo since I got it. I finally took it in today for a medium list of warranty issues ( lettering, noisy swivel head on the pilon, rubber decking on the deck leaving a black residue on everything and a few other minor issues). I told Gary at bridgecity that I was not getting heat at idle.

He checked it out and said heatercraft came up with a bright idea 2 years ago that is still being done some times from the factory that does not produce heat at idle. He switched my fittings like all you mentioned above and said this an approved fix from malibu to put them back like they use to be if people have a problem from the factory. I believe he said my heater puts out 106 F heat at around 1100 rpm.

To all I would say take it to your dealer and have them help you out by fixing it. Best of luck, Blake

Edited by blake0401
Tracie there is no need to strike at you as we can tell you know the truth by putting up the wall at the start. Let your dealer do it for you!

Hopefully this can answer most of the questions. I have had the same issue with my o4 promo since I got it. I finally took it in today for a medium list of warranty issues ( lettering, noisy swivel head on the pilon, rubber decking on the deck leaving a black residue on everything and a few other minor issues). I told Gary at bridgecity that I was not getting heat at idle.

He checked it out and said heatercraft came up with a bright idea 2 years ago that is still being done some times from the factory that does not produce heat at idle. He switched my fittings like all you mentioned above and said this an approved fix from malibu to put them back like they use to be if people have a problem from the factory. I believe he said my heater puts out 106 F heat at around 1100 rpm.

To all I would say take it to your dealer and have them help you out by fixing it. Best of luck, Blake

Hey, now I like this idea! I'll have to check out where my fitting is and then talk to BCW when I take the boat in for a few other issues.

How about another heater related issue. How difficult is it to add a longer snorkle? I remember that Troy(SacRiverRat) had one in his boat that would reach all the way to the rear seating area. The one in my boat barely reaches the observer seat, and at that, you have to be sitting on the seat near the walk through for it to reach. Are there any problems with having a longer hose? - like being able to stow it, or the amount of heat it puts out? Troy, any comments?

:lol: Just some good natured fun. I don't like to bother my dealer over little things like that, plus it's over an hour one way & with the way that our roads can get during the winter months between gravel & that de-icer solution that they start spraying on the roads....I'd rather just nut up & get it done myself.

my dealer is 15 minutes away or 5 minutes away when I pull my boat out of the river. When you pay as much as we do for boats I will let them earn their money and let them fix what ever I can find. Take care, Blake

I also found out they will be replacing my pilon due ot bearing problems up top. They also fixed the decking platform as that is warranty also.

Edited by blake0401
  • 3 weeks later...

Y-FITTING 1-1/4" X 5/8

but is there a small hole inside the little angled pipe?IIRC i have seen a pic somewhere.I would like to know the diameter of that hole.I made a T fitting myself last year and the boat was running a few dergrees cooler arrround 145/150.i want to do it perfect this time.

thanx

Y-FITTING 1-1/4" X 5/8

but is there a small hole inside the little angled pipe?IIRC i have seen a pic somewhere.I would like to know the diameter of that hole.I made a T fitting myself last year and the boat was running a few dergrees cooler arrround 145/150.i want to do it perfect this time.

thanx

post-88-1160050945_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking someone who has done this fix needs to do a How-to for the appropriate section of the forums. Then, when someone asks this question again, a one response link would work. We all seem to have the same issue and a how-to would be great!

How about another heater related issue. How difficult is it to add a longer snorkle? I remember that Troy(SacRiverRat) had one in his boat that would reach all the way to the rear seating area. The one in my boat barely reaches the observer seat, and at that, you have to be sitting on the seat near the walk through for it to reach. Are there any problems with having a longer hose? - like being able to stow it, or the amount of heat it puts out? Troy, any comments?

Hey OB,

I didn't see this at first. We made our snorkel a lot longer for the same reason & actually added a second snorkel while we were at it. I ordered some of the flexible tubing & a spare snorkel from SkiDim, & bought a y-pipe from Home Depot (for the 2 vents to the driver) to do it. You have to pull the kick plate under the dash & then pull the snorkel completely out to do it, but it's not a hard job beyond that.

a outlet near the back would be great

I'd like to have one on the back of the engine so that skiers can wamr up their feet without needing to come forward

Hey OB,

I didn't see this at first. We made our snorkel a lot longer for the same reason & actually added a second snorkel while we were at it. I ordered some of the flexible tubing & a spare snorkel from SkiDim, & bought a y-pipe from Home Depot (for the 2 vents to the driver) to do it. You have to pull the kick plate under the dash & then pull the snorkel completely out to do it, but it's not a hard job beyond that.

Cool, I was just thinking about changing the one by the driver's feet to a snorkle. I need to check out skidim!

My '98 DD does not have a Y fitting on either side of the impellor. Both heater hoses connect to fittings on or near the top of the engine. What do I have to do to get heat at idle?