Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New trailer winch

RedWakesetterVLX

Looking at these two options for my 1999 boatmate trailer. Any have any recommendations?  I trailer all the time 100% of the time. 

IMG_2394.thumb.PNG.e6da9197c83ed3f0318db8bd83774f20.PNG

Thanks for the link. 

Fulton makes a bunch of different ones.  I just snapped my strap yesterday so I wanted to upgrade to the highest rated one they had.  The #3200 is pretty pricey though.  

When mine snapped I called boat mate. The trailer was only a year old and the strap was rubbing on the side of the wench. They sent me a new one. Academy sports has the straps in my area. Less than $20. 

50 minutes ago, Ballay said:

When mine snapped I called boat mate. The trailer was only a year old and the strap was rubbing on the side of the wench. They sent me a new one. Academy sports has the straps in my area. Less than $20. 

Yeah my trailer is 19 years old.  The winch and strap both were most likely original. 

I have the Fulton 2 speed, I have the oversized one. I would not buy the Fulton again. It really is not very well built and can’t be trusted to maintain latch.

• Like 1

The easiest (and cheapest) way of increasing a winch's capacity is just not to install that 20' strap.  I always cut them down to maybe 4' or 5'.  This reduces the coiled up diameter by about 1/2, and therefore doubles the pulling force for the same cranking force on the handle.  I don't really know of a reason why someone would winch a boat 20' , I only winch the last 6" .

Just now, RyanB said:

I've read quite a bit on the two speed winches.  If I were replacing, that is the way I would go.

I just purchased enclosed the Fulton 2 speed.  I'll let you know how it works out. 

I upgraded to the 3200 two speed when my original Fulton single speed teeth failed. I love it and have not had a problem in four years. I winch on the last 2' or so every outing.

• Like 1