Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 LSV Glued Carpet to GatorStep

Awdturbo04

Well winter is over and it has been a busy one. I recarpeted most of the interior and while I had it out I didn’t see the need to glue new carpet to the floor. For this reason I decided to scrape all the glue, finish the fiberglass with Kiwi Grip and put down Gator step. I put together a few pictures to show the process but if anyone would like to see more in depth let me know as I’m sure I have pictures of the process. If not I at least can give more info.

starting off with the tear downdRGYDgy.png

here is some glue scraping

zhXOm44.png

lots of scraping and citrustrip followed by palm sanding and pressure washing we ended up with this

L9Hta6R.png

From here we made the template for the gator step

jE1J3pK.png

AyBqwfb.png

next step was finishing the fiberglass with Kiwi Grip. The non skid cane with a very aggressive roller to leave heavy texture but I used a regular roller that still left a nice texture with out the peaks of the standard roller. The finish was really nice once dried and had perfect adherition. I was able to pressure wash it before applying the GatorStep without any coming off. I went with white where you would see it through the gator step seams and black inside the lockers. It’s really nice in the lockers because everything dries now where the old carpet used to hold moisture all season.

yuGumsP.png4t6T19S.png

the gas tank coder got screwed down with a few extra screws than factory and the ga you can see I added great stuff to. Once it dried I cut it flush to give some support under the small gap.

Dude, you beat me to it!  I'm literally finishing the exact project (except I'm doing Deckadence on top) so you saved me from posting pictures. :lol:

It looks great, can't wait to see the final product!  I love the black in the locker/seat areas.  I'm going white all over and then laying down deckadence in select areas under the seats.  One thing I did do is removed the table receiver and paint it with white epoxy paint.  Definitely updates the look and was cheap.  You could also paint the aluminum frame on the forward locker door...that was my plan too but ended up buying a new door altogether.

6 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Dude, you beat me to it!  I'm literally finishing the exact project (except I'm doing Deckadence on top) so you saved me from posting pictures. :lol:

It looks great, can't wait to see the final product!  I love the black in the locker/seat areas.  I'm going white all over and then laying down deckadence in select areas under the seats.  One thing I did do is removed the table receiver and paint it with white epoxy paint.  Definitely updates the look and was cheap.  You could also paint the aluminum frame on the forward locker door...that was my plan too but ended up buying a new door altogether.

Couldn’t agree more! The look it gives the boat takes 10 years off it. 

22 hours ago, JWBeav said:

That looks awesome, def on my list of things to do to my 07 23 LSV.  Curious, roughly how much was this conversion?

Roughly

-$1400 for the Gator Step including both lockers

-$100 for the kiwi grip paint

-$100 for expendable glue stripper sanding pads etc

all the labor myself when I had free time here and there

19 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Will you have to destroy the GS if you ever need fuel tank access?

In the un unfortunate event that I would need to access the gas tank level sensor then I would have to peel up the GatorStep for that panel. Shouldn’t destroy it I would assume I would have to add some adhesive to the bottom to get it to re stick though.

19 hours ago, Falko said:

Interior looks great.

What size is your "Wakesetter" on the exterior?

It was the “factory” look alike graphics kit from domed numbers

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Did you just clean the glue off the locker pieces and lay the gator step on the poly? Or did you paint it with the kiwi grip as well? Thanks right in the middle of this exact project on a 2006 23LSV 

well after reading this post, this will be my winter project with the nice detail layout.

And yes @goodmatt78 that is Sharkfin over black as I just ordered the same color options from GS for my swim platform/gunnels/bow

• 1 year later...

@Awdturbo04 I am starting this project on my 06 23LSV this week.  did you leave the carpet on the seat bases?  my goal is to eliminate all of the carpet so I was curios why you chose to leave that in place. 

thanks 

The time involved ripping out the carpet, making the templates, the extra cost, especially now with COVID pricing  and leaving the carpet in will quiet the boat down in comparison to the GS or Seadek. Noise reduction is why some manufacturers leave the carpet in, or so I have read. I personally like the carpet on the vertical sections so I left mine in place when I did my 2010. 6DD74235-E94D-4805-97A0-43010EB209E1.thumb.jpeg.9b194ac19f9f2de180de9d7e5ec6f5e5.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone replaced the carpet on the vertical sections, or on the the sides of the hull by the throttle, etc?  I am trying to figure out if just regular Auto carpet is good for this as there is not a lot of marine carpet selection in Canada.  My flooring will be covered in decadence type material from Canada Mats (CM8150K).