Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Misfire Code -- 2015 22 MXZ

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post.  I'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to help with a major issue we've been having with a 2015 22 MXZ w/ approximately 70 hours on it.  Equipped with the standard Monsoon 350 engine.  We are the second owner.  We purchased the boat from a private party.

The boat is throwing a few engine codes:

Emissions/Catalyst Damaging Misfire CYL 2  SPN: 1324 / FMI: 31

Emissions/Catalyst Damaging Misfire CYL 3 SPN: 1325 / FMI: 31

The boat has been with our local dealer for nearly a month.  The dealer has done a ton of stuff to the boat, but so far nothing they've done has solved the problem.  Here's a list of some of the stuff they've tried:

- Drained gas and replaced with Rec90 gas

- Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter

- Cleaned injectors

- Replaced distributor cap and rotor

- Replaced plugs and plug wires

- Vacuum tested engine (normal results)

- Compression tested (good compression)

- Removed ECU and swapped in ECU from another boat (no effect)

- Swapped out various sensors w/ no effect (sorry I don't have more details on what sensors were swapped out -- will try to get this info)

The next thing the dealership is doing is a leakdown test.  

The boat runs just fine on the "fake a lake," but when you get the boat out on the water, under load, the same codes keep coming up.  

Everyone I've talked to is at a loss for what to do next, and the outlook is starting to look pretty dreary.  The local dealership is sounding like they're kind of giving up on this boat, and they have a ton of hours into it.

HELP.  PLEASE.

Edited by skibum0511

My guess is the crankshaft position sensor, it's the thing that's used to measure this.  And, cylinders 2 & 3 are 180 out in the firing order, meaning the crankshaft (not camshaft) is in the same position when they fire.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I emailed the dealer today.  They say they already swapped out the crank position sensor and it didn't help.  I was hoping that hadn't been tried yet.  They said they had checked and cleaned the injectors and all was fine there.

I also found a thread on this forum that suggested heat shields on the plug wires could be the cause.  Turns out the dealer had already removed those.  This just stinks.  I have an '03 Mastercraft Prostar 197, and it's been so easy owning that thing.  Seasonal maintenance and its all set (knock on wood).  This newer Malibu has been an absolute nightmare so far :cry:

Improper HVS timing (cam angle), can cause misfires.  If the motor has a MEFI6 ECM, it should be set at 705 degrees (plus or minus 5 degrees) at 1200 rpm.

Drivetrain vibration can fool the ECM into thinking there is a misfire.  It uses variation in crankshaft speed at steady state to determine when there is a misfire.  A loose motor mount, sea pump bracket, propshaft coupler, misaligned engine, loose or damaged prop, strut or propshaft can cause a change in crankshaft velocity and trigger a misfire fault.  I don't know if that is causing your issue, but it may be worth checking. 

Taking a diacom recording on the water when the misfire occurs may give the customer support guys at Indmar what they need to help out too.

^Good stuff. Def make sure the cam angle is 705 at 1200 RPM's. Also, your dealer can do an injector fire test via Diacomm which basically shuts down injectors. When you shut down an injector, the RPM's should drop. If they don't drop, you have a problematic injector, most likely stuck open. Have dealer get with Larry or Joe at Indmar.

Edited by skurfer
  • 11 months later...

I'm having the same issue.  Wish I could say what my dealer has done, its being handled under a veil of secrecy.  

Any recent news on these "cyl misfire" issues?  This fairly typical?  Benign or something really to watch? 

Additionally, if you know of a good service center in the KY, IN, OH region, even beyond, please let me know - I'll take this puppy anywhere to get fixed!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Any updates on this?  I just purchased a 2017 Malibu Wakesetter 24 mxz with 28 hours on it and here are some of the codes that have come up.  The dealer has replaced the recall on the exhaust tubes with o2 sensors.  Now they are trying to figure these out. 

SPN 1323, FMI 31 - Emissions/Catalyst Damage Misfire Detected Cylinder #1
SPN 1324, FMI 31 - Emissions/Catalyst Damage Misfire Detected Cylinder #2
SPN 1326, FMI 31 - Emissions/Catalyst Damage Misfire Detected Cylinder #4
SPN 1327, FMI 31 - Emissions/Catalyst Damage Misfire Detected Cylinder #5

I would check the fuel condition and fuel pressure first, but that is just a guess, of course.  Testing engine cylinder compression and checking spark plug condition would also be important, but there are a number of things that can cause misfires.

The Indmar ECM 4G Ford Diag Manual v1.3 has a list of things to check on page 122-123 including: oil type and level; fuel pressure, level, condition, and fuel injectors; ignition system and spark plugs; cylinder compression; exhaust leaks; etc.  Your Indmar dealer can likely get you a copy of you need it to troubleshoot the problem yourself, but I would also recommend getting Rinda Diacom and the appropriate adaptor cable for diagnosing the issue.  An injector kill test is a great way to narrow down a cylinder that is not producing the same power as the others.  After the repairs are completed it is also a good idea to use diacom to clear the misfire and fuel adaption to prevent an erroneous misfire DTC.

The O2 sensors really don't have much to do with a misfire DTC.  Misfires are determined by the ECM reading sudden changes in the rotational velocity of the crankshaft using the crank position sensor.  I have seen service bulletins about catalyst replacement on certain Indmar engines, but I've never seen a USCG recall for them.  A misfire will likely damage the catalyst in those new exhaust pipes if it is not fixed promply.

• 1 year later...