Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me out with a board for my hubs

Raimie

I'm going to pick up a board for my hubby's bday. Here is the background...

He is 6'5, 270lbs. He's an athletic guy, currently into powerlifting. He generally prefers wakeboarding because he has to stick so close to the boat to keep the wave when surfing our 5'4" Byerly Hazard. I can't say if he prefers surf to skim because he has really only ridden the hybrid board we have. I know he would like to progress to spins and small airs though.

I'm looking for something that won't require a ton of pumping. The Hazard seems fast to me when weighting my front foot, but I know the custom boards are probably a big improvement over that. Demos really aren't practical for us based on location. I want a board that can handle his weight but isn't boring to ride. However, also not something so loose and squirrelly that he'll be struggling to keep it in control. These are the boards I'm looking at. Hoping for a little feedback from the crew.

Boards...in no particular order...

1. Brigade Surf Couch - 5'4" - $700

2. Chaos Bamboo Ringer XL - 5'0 - $749

3. Victoria Captain XL - 54.2"  - $575

4. Walker Project Bazooka - 5.5 - $799

Thanks for the help!

I'm 250. Pretty athletic.  I ride the Slingshot Gnarwahl.  I love it.  I have no trouble staying in the wave.  I can easily do 3's, transfers, and get small airs off of it.  The board is plenty fast for my liking.  It is VERY responsive to my input.  I also can surf it sitting down and laying down.  It supports 4 fins; however, I ride with just the 2 outer fins.  This gives it a slightly looser feel.  I believe my board size is the 4'10".  I'll have to double check when I get home this evening.  I have an older model (it's all blue) than what you will see on the internet.

clone.jpg

My son is 6'4" 250 and rides my SoulCraft Voodoo (4'10") and the Victoria Captain XL.  He loves them both.  You probably can't go wrong with any of those boards but I only have experience with one of them.

Dave

Look at the Doomswell Nubstep, 5’ board.  It’s rated to about 290lbs, awesome board. It will provide you with everything you are looking for.  

The XL Captain would be a very effortless ride because of its design, and it is short enough that eventually learning spins won't be too awkward. 

Edited by wakemitch
5 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I'm about the same size and LOVE my captain. I also ride a soulcraft 5'0" voodoo which is a polar opposite but both allow me to use all of the wave, even with my weight. 

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, wakemitch said:

The XL Captain would be a very effortless ride because of its design, and it is short enough that eventually learning spins won't be too awkward. 

LTD or standard?

2 hours ago, Raimie said:

LTD or standard?

Not sure what LTD stands for or if something's changed in the newest version.  I have last years model (blue and white one) since i had heard there wasn't a real significant change between the two versions. I think they made the new one so it doesn't pearl as easily, which i don't have any problems with. 

1 hour ago, isellacuras said:

Not sure what LTD stands for or if something's changed in the newest version.  I have last years model (blue and white one) since i had heard there wasn't a real significant change between the two versions. I think they made the new one so it doesn't pearl as easily, which i don't have any problems with. 

I saw that one on buywake I believe. It was carbon.

I think I will go with the standard though...

The LTD is the exact same except it is all carbon fiber instead of the standard e glass. Because the captain also easy uses the stiffest core, there isn’t much a performance difference. But it looks awesome 

Just ordered the Captain! I'm pretty excited to try it out too based on what I have heard. :rockon: Might have to give it a secret test ride before I gift it to him lol. ;)

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Just ordered the Captain! I'm pretty excited to try it out too based on what I have heard. :rockon: Might have to give it a secret test ride before I gift it to him lol. ;)

I think you have to.  You wouldn't want to give him something that didn't ride well!!!!