kickback

trouble with gauges on '03 Response LXI

kickback

I have a 2003 response LXI.  last summer all of the gauges began flat lining intermittently during operation.  The gauges have completely quit working now, but are still in the position they were in during last operation.  my guess is that the medallion gauge controller is bad, but they are no longer available.  does anyone know if there is a conversion available that will allow use of existing wiring harness and gauges?  Is there a way to test the existing unit to confirm that it's bad prior to having one made and waiting 3-4 weeks? I have confirmed that fuses are ok.

inlandlaker

Did you check with bakes?  I think they have them.  They did when I last looked anyway. 

JeffK

Can't remember for sure, but weren't they still using the cannon plug?  I'd also check there first

inlandlaker
2 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Can't remember for sure, but weren't they still using the cannon plug?  I'd also check there first

Good point.  I'm not sure about that either on the '03.  

csleaver

See if there is an inline fuse (usually yellow) or loose connection near the MMDC (gauge control box) causing the issue.

electricjohn

Oil pressure and coolant temperature definitely pass thru the cannon plug. Not sure where volts are sourced from. Fuel is part of the hulls wiring.

tbullard

Similar issue with mine and it seems to be associated with a connection issue at the plugs on the black box. If I unplug them and re-plug or wiggle them the gauges will come back on. I sprayed them down with electrical contact cleaner yesterday which seems to have helped.

asnowman

When you take those connections apart and clean them its also good to put a dielectric grease in there to help keep out the moisture.

tbullard

Think I just solved mine. Some research here pointed to checking the inline fuses and holders. When I checked mine I noticed that the Previous Owner had taped over them pretty well. Once I removed the tape I found that one of the holders was broken and the tape was holding everything together surely that is the cause for my intermittent connection issue. Will know for sure after replacing it.

Here is a good thread that also includes info about cracking open the black box and checking the solder connections.

Here is the troubleshooting guide.

http://www.epicmarine.com/docs/MDCtrouble.PDF

Edited by tbullard