Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

alternative ballast upgrades

darebear09

I have a 2017 Axis A20. I want to put two ballasts in the back. I know wakemakers has the plug n play system but its more than I want to spend. Is there any other companies that are compatible? Can I buy fly high, fatsac, freemotion  extra? If so, do I need an adaptor? Thanks Crew

Theyre all just water bags and will all work.  Yes youll need adapters and thatlly really depend on whats already in your boat to begin with. 

On 6/15/2018 at 6:44 AM, darebear09 said:

I have a 2017 Axis A20. I want to put two ballasts in the back. I know wakemakers has the plug n play system but its more than I want to spend. Is there any other companies that are compatible? Can I buy fly high, fatsac, freemotion  extra? If so, do I need an adaptor? Thanks Crew

I can’t believe you don’t alreafy have the unused PNP plumbing option waiting for you to install the bags after cutting hoses to proper lengths and buying plastic Connection hardware from wakemakers along with your bag of choice

you shouldn’t need a wakemakers pnp system     

The bag choice determines your screw in plug thread size that can then have various size ends with o ring that then match the quick connect size opening  coming from that the pnp  hose’s quick connector.  The hose  determines the size of connector at hose end 

wskemskers has connectors for any combination of hoses and bags

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you have the already plumbed PNP adapters in the lockers?  I picked up the 550 bags for my 17 A20 for $335.59 shipped last November (I think they had a special going).  The 550's are plenty big for the A20 and when I have more than 5 in the boat, filling them all the way sinks the surfgate a bit too deep (depending on who is sitting where).

I also got the autovent kit ($99) which allows them to fill all the way without a visual (or burping each time).  There might be a code.

Item #: M10508

I looked into other options, but the wakemakers ease of install and then discounted price sold me.  Too bad I had to wait until April of 18 to use them for the first time.

A note about sinking surfgates... IMO..sink em.  The divergence that occurs will still occur when sunk. I had an A22 2015 and it liked to be sunk.  Ran a total of about 4000 ballast with out the wedge.

• Like 1