Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Malibu 23LSV - Restoration Project (Help Needed)

Dear All, 

I'm new here and it's always nice to know other enthusiasts whom share their passion in Malibu. 
I've recently took over my friend's 2004 23LSV which has been sitting there doing nothing for the past 4 years. It has not been move because the local captain in Hong Kong was told that Malibu is no longer in business and there are no parts available. My friend told me about is and I was like, even it's out of business, I'm sure the engine can be fixed. So I did a bit of research and damn I'm right. I can see that parts can be purchased and order. So I told my friend, why don't I take over and if I can get it fixed then I'll take over it. He's like please it's rubbish to me. 

So I got it today and took some pictures and here're the information I got from the captain and the reason why they didn't use it for 4 years;

1. The exhaust is leaking and was told no parts available. Is that true? 

2. It's a V8 and it's was told that 3 cylinders were down.

3. There's oil leak and seepage at the bottom of the hull. 

4. Battery can't be replaced cos of it's perculiar size. 

All the brothers here, can you please kindly show me some lights as to how to start this restoration projects? Also any recommendation on parts ordering? 

Much thanks and appreciate much your reply. 

Let's start first with, Where are you located?

Yes Malibu is still in business and most everything is still available for a 2004.  Plenty of online vendors and marine and automotive stores. 

1. Need to know what part of the exhaust is leaking.  If it's the fiberglass muffler, those can be rebuilt.  If its the exhaust headers, they are still available.  Rubber hoses are easy to swap.     

2.  Probably should start with a compression and leak down test on the engine to see how bad it is.  

3.  What type of oil?  Pull the dipsticks and see if the engine, transmission or V-drive are low.  May have to clean the bilge top off the fluids if multiple are low and set absorbent cloths in the bilge to see if anything is leaking. 

4.  Batteries of all shapes and sizes are available.... 

As for pictures, if you are going to do a full restoration project you better become a paying member here.  You will be able to directly attach pictures and have access to many discounts only available to paying members, which will help when buying parts to get her up and running again.