Jump to content
Dwake

2018 Sirius XM adapter

Recommended Posts

Dwake

Have an 2018 lsv.  Found a plug coming out of the medallion module.  Labeled “SiriusxM”

The medallion modules clearly say “SiriusXM Ready”.

bought a SVX300 from Best Buy ( can find them several places.  $35-65)

plugged in put antenna on boat by windshield.  Turned on stereo.

BAM the Sirius is now selectable and I can hear and see the preview station.

 

all that’s left is the negotiating with Sirius xM to ad another radio to my acct.

 

So I’m sure you get a fancier unnecessary over kill antenna and a clean drilled hole for $350 but I am happpy with the under 50 job I did 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMVOTTO

It’s easy to get the marine ant and drill the hole 

did it on my last boat .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLA

Ive experienced spotty coverage with the supplied automotive antenna. For those that do, the Shakespeare SRA-25 is best. Its a slim-line surface mount marine antenna. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
On 6/14/2018 at 11:21 PM, Dwake said:

Have an 2018 lsv.  Found a plug coming out of the medallion module.  Labeled “SiriusxM”

The medallion modules clearly say “SiriusXM Ready”.

bought a SVX300 from Best Buy ( can find them several places.  $35-65)

plugged in put antenna on boat by windshield.  Turned on stereo.

BAM the Sirius is now selectable and I can hear and see the preview station.

 

all that’s left is the negotiating with Sirius xM to ad another radio to my acct.

 

So I’m sure you get a fancier unnecessary over kill antenna and a clean drilled hole for $350 but I am happpy with the under 50 job I did 

So you drilled a hole in the top deck for this?  Can you share a pic of your antenna location?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep

Easiest way is to pull the cup holder and file a slot just big enough for the antenna wire.  Nothing visible.  That is the way i mounted the sirus antenna on my 2012.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Easiest way is to pull the cup holder and file a slot just big enough for the antenna wire.  Nothing visible.  That is the way i mounted the sirus antenna on my 2012.

My question is specific to the new 2018 23 LSV which is a totally different design than your 2012. Come to think of it, I don’t recall there being a cup holder on the dash of my 2012 VLX. What model did you have?  There is a dash cupholder on the new 23, but I don’t think I’d want that puck mounted immediately adjacent.

When I did this same mod to my 2015 23 LSV it was easy to get the antenna up onto the dash without drilling any holes because there was a small gap between the dash and the windshield you could pass wires through (pic below from my ‘15).  On the new 23 that gap is gone because the entire toodeck of the boat (incl floor, seat bases, dash, etc) is all one solid piece of fiberglass  

When I added this same Sirius receiver/antenna to my Jeep I didn’t even bother running it up onto the dash or rollbar like some guys do; I simply mounted it inside the dash, hidden behind the headunit. I get good reception too. I mounted the antenna for the nav in the same spot and it also works. This has me wondering if I could just leave the antenna inside the observers compartment. 

E242E9BB-A952-42FC-81F7-3A0E24D3A8D2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie

Not exactly the same but I mounted my Nav antenna to the top of the walk through cubby under the drivers helm. I get reception even under the roof of my dock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
19 minutes ago, IXFE said:

My question is specific to the new 2018 23 LSV which is a totally different design than your 2012. Come to think of it, I don’t recall there being a cup holder on the dash of my 2012 VLX. What model did you have?  There is a dash cupholder on the new 23, but I don’t think I’d want that puck mounted immediately adjacent.

When I did this same mod to my 2015 23 LSV it was easy to get the antenna up onto the dash without drilling any holes because there was a small gap between the dash and the windshield you could pass wires through (pic below from my ‘15).  On the new 23 that gap is gone because the entire toodeck of the boat (incl floor, seat bases, dash, etc) is all one solid piece of fiberglass  

When I added this same Sirius receiver/antenna to my Jeep I didn’t even bother running it up onto the dash or rollbar like some guys do; I simply mounted it inside the dash, hidden behind the headunit. I get good reception too. I mounted the antenna for the nav in the same spot and it also works. This has me wondering if I could just leave the antenna inside the observers compartment. 

E242E9BB-A952-42FC-81F7-3A0E24D3A8D2.png

Cup holder is up by the bow seating.  No way I would want the antenna under the windshierld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Cup holder is up by the bow seating.  No way I would want the antenna under the windshierld

Again, I don’t think that would work on the new 23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
7 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Again, I don’t think that would work on the new 23

True enough - but I would think you would want to put it up here by what I assume is the factory GPS antennae - rather than on the dash under the windshield.  The little puck antennaes are sensitive enough to trees and bridges, there is a reason they don't use them on cars

 

LSV23.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
Just now, oldjeep said:

True enough - but I would think you would want to put it up here by what I assume is the factory GPS antennae - rather than on the dash under the windshield.

 

LSV23.jpg

Totally agree; that’s the obvious answer. I’m just always looking for alternatives to drilling through gel and fiberglass 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Totally agree; that’s the obvious answer. I’m just always looking for alternatives to drilling through gel and fiberglass 

Id consider putting it on top the tower.  Should be able to use factory holes and it would be the best place for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cbass

2 questions...

1. Where did you get the antenna and is there a specific one you’d suggest for boat usage? 

2. Were you able to negotiate adding another vehicle to your account at a discounted price since the boating season is shorter (in most places)?

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
On 6/29/2018 at 6:27 AM, cbass said:

2 questions...

1. Where did you get the antenna and is there a specific one you’d suggest for boat usage? 

2. Were you able to negotiate adding another vehicle to your account at a discounted price since the boating season is shorter (in most places)?

thank you

Buy the receiver from amazon. The antenna comes with it. It’s cheap and includes 3 months of free service. Just enough to get you through the season and cancel!

next year call them up and demand the 5 months for $30 deal. They will do it. 

And yes, easy to add this receiver to your existing account when you call. 

SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio with Free 3 Months Satellite and Streaming Service https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i47nBbJ27KWNB

Edited by IXFE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weaklink

Awesome! I was looking for this. sxv300 much better than the scc1 I thought I was going to have to buy! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ballay

I used the SXV300 on my 15 LSV. I also used the antenna that came with it. I zip tied it to existing wiring as far forward as I could. Real easy!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dalt1
On 6/30/2018 at 12:31 PM, IXFE said:

Buy the receiver from amazon. The antenna comes with it. It’s cheap and includes 3 months of free service. Just enough to get you through the season and cancel!

next year call them up and demand the 5 months for $30 deal. They will do it. 

And yes, easy to add this receiver to your existing account when you call. 

SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio with Free 3 Months Satellite and Streaming Service https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i47nBbJ27KWNB

I was just wondering what it would take to hook up Sirius on my 18 LSV?  So this is all I need and it’s plug and play after subscribing? It is compatible with the black box in my boat?

Edited by dalt1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
G Spot

@IXFE I wonder if you could put the puck in the bottom of the port side bow cup holder and run the wire to the amp board. I don't think that would be hard if you pull the speaker.

I'm curious of ya'lls experience with XM? I haven't been impressed with the sound quality in my vehicles so have never kept the subscription going past the free period. Does it sound good in the boat or are you using it for special programing (i.e., sports/talk radio)?

Edited by G Spot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
6 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I was just wondering what it would take to hook up Sirius on my 18 LSV?  So this is all I need and it’s plug and play after subscribing? It is compatible with the black box in my boat?

Yes, it’s compatible. But you will have to unscrew the amp board and lean it back in order to get at the connections behind the black box. One of the empty plugs you will find is for the sat radio tuner. Keep in mind you’ll have to find somewhere to mount the antenna. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy
9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Yes, it’s compatible. But you will have to unscrew the amp board and lean it back in order to get at the connections behind the black box. One of the empty plugs you will find is for the sat radio tuner. Keep in mind you’ll have to find somewhere to mount the antenna. 

Can you just unscrew that vent on the dash next to the gps puck and fish the wire through there and then screw it back down?  Run a little heatshrink over the wire where the vent hits the gel and/or a little filing for a slot? Alternatively just pull (or maybe only loosen) the walk through trim panel and fish through there and tighten back down?  I can't believe that this would be hard and I've always had great luck with the $5 automotive sat radio antennas, especially on the boat where you're basically gonna have clear sky above all the time.   If that antenna will work driving through the woods, I don't see why receiving a sat signal on the lake is going to be hard at all. 

the only problem I'd try to plan around would be putting it where someone sitting in the bow might put their elbows when sitting up there (resting on the top deck if that makes sense).  I had that issue with the zero off puck on our MB... thought cruise was intermittently broken for about 10 minutes till I figured out that one of the kids in the bow kept putting his elbow over the gps antenna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE

@dalt1 I dug up a few pics to show what I was referring to. These are from my 2018 23 LSV so your boat is identical. 

Pic 1 - amp board unscrewed and leaned over

Pic 2 - this is exactly what you need to buy. It’s $30 and incl 3 months free. Notice the green arrow I drew. This is the connection to the black box. The antenna cord super long but on the 2018 you’re probably gonna have to drill a hole in your fiberglass to get it up on top in front of the windshield (assuming you want to mount it there). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_LbQaCbQ6T4977

Pic 3 - I zoomed in on Pic one to show you where the sat receiver plugs in to the black box

Pic 4 - another pic of the connection point from a different angle. 

I bet you could do the entire install in 30 mins or less. I hope this helps. 

2E120A66-5888-47E2-B2BB-43ED1411E0FC.jpeg

902EA9C4-7BE0-4490-BD84-D7F006D74DE9.jpeg

20A51E8A-46E3-4EF9-9106-547F8A485038.jpeg

3FCA08C4-8B0E-4D04-9B20-75083F1E10D9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnmarker

My XM antenna works fine taped to the bottom of the fiberglass.  Just make sure the right side is pointing up.

It's as far forward under the helm as I can get it so the windshield metal doesn't interfere with the signal.  No need to mount on the surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
6 hours ago, dalt1 said:

So this is all I need and it’s plug and play after subscribing?

Install first. Turn it on and listen for a signal. You will get a signal on channel 1. This is the channel that begs you to call and pay them. Lol. Then call and subscribe. They will need the radio number (easiest place to get it is on the box so don’t throw it away. Or it’s usually found by tuning to channel 0). It takes a few mins but after you hang up with them all the stations will light up. 

I haven’t had sat radio in the boat since my 2015. But I do like that you can tune in a station and forget about it, just endless commercial free music. I know you can do that with Spotify too (my chosen streaming music), but I find that we always rely on our playlists. Also sat radio works regardless of cell signal, which is nice on remote lakes. With Spotify I’ve just downloaded most of my fav playlists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
8 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

My XM antenna works fine taped to the bottom of the fiberglass.  Just make sure the right side is pointing up.

It's as far forward under the helm as I can get it so the windshield metal doesn't interfere with the signal.  No need to mount on the surface.

That’s awesome. Makes this project truly plug and play. I was wondering if it could work that way. Now that I think about it, I have  the same sat receiver in my Jeep and I left the antenna under my dash and it works fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie

I would try this first before any drilling etc. On top of the cubby inside your OB compartment, where your walkthrough speakers are mounted is a flat spot that you can tape down with double sided tape (I use double sided carpet tape, very strong, Lowe's) the puck. I have had good luck with mounting the Nav GPS antenna there. If it gets the signal you need, leave it there. Easy peasy. If not, start trying to find a more difficult location to mount it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×