Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake surf set up 2012 Axis A22

TNVET

Greetings! First time posting on here, and if this forum is like any other forum I’ve been a part of, I am sure this topic has probably already been posted to death. I apologize if that’s the case...  I tried looking through previous discussions, but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. So.... 

I Just purchased a 2012 Axis A22.  I am starting from scratch with a manual wedge and only factory ballast so far. I was hoping to hear some feedback on how to quickly set my boat up for the best surf wave, while also being as frugal with my wallet as I can be. I am already pretty certain that an aftermarket ballast system is a must... (not sure if I’m wired for plug and play) but am highly interested in hearing what additions/mods people are running to maximize their wave quality. 

1. What is the most bare bones setup needed that I can use for a nice clean wave for surfing with a decent amount of push?... factory ballast, my manual wedge, and “suck gate”? 

2. What, I’m your opinion, is the absolute best setup for this year and model without electric gates and power wedge? 

Thanks so much In advance for any advice/recommendations! 

Edited by TNVET

Slam it with ballast. You probably have plug-n-play. For surfing, put 1100s in the rear and the mushroom sac in the front plug-n-play. Use a Mission Delta.

You're going to struggle to surf without adding ballast bags. If you're not sure about having plug n play, send pics of the rear compartments. Also, if you have a switch on the dash for "bow ballast fill/drain", then that's a dead giveaway that you have plug-n-play.

I had the same boat and just upgraded.

Our surf setup was:

Home made surfgate

Factory tanks full

Pnp 750s and bow arrow sack full

400 bag on the surf side seat

400 bag on the bow seats (sometimes would put this bag on rear seat instead of bow for taller wave as in the photo)

It's a super fun wave.  It's really mellow easy to ride but only downside was it did not have a very defined lip, due to the larger platform 

PhktRXa.jpg

Edited by vanamp

I have the 2012 22' MXZ and get a great wake with the following;

• Factory surf side, middle & bow tanks full.
  • Addl rear ballast surf side (490lbs) full.
  • Wedge at 100% which is the first stage down.
  • Mission Delta surf gate just below water line as far back as possible.
  • 10.4 mph

This is just with me and one other in the boat. Only gets better with more. Have fun!

Edited by MalibuReady

Just an update... my boat was only wired for p&p in the bow. So... it’s currently in the shop getting plumbing and install for two new 750’s in the rear and A new bow bag. Borrowed a Roswell deflector from a friend. We’ll see how she surfs once I get her back! 

1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

I’d go with 1100s instead of 750s. 

The 1100s would probably be more trouble than the small bump in weight would be worth.  I'd guess at most you would get an extra 100lbs and blow the engine dividers and the channel they mount in out.  The engine dividers and the u-channel are pretty light duty in that boat.  

Most of the time we filled the 750s and used extra bags to get a little list and bow down. 

• 2 weeks later...

First time out with my new bags. Was Running the factory’s full, the new 750’s in the rears, the new bow bag, and wedge down. I was  using the Roswell deflector for my surf gate. I thought this was a pretty good start. Just some minor tweaking from here. 

86CA973A-D1DF-4E0A-87DA-CAF97E1D9E54_zps

2012 Axis A22

• 3 years later...
On 6/12/2018 at 3:02 PM, boardjnky4 said:

Slam it with ballast. You probably have plug-n-play. For surfing, put 1100s in the rear and the mushroom sac in the front plug-n-play. Use a Mission Delta.

You're going to struggle to surf without adding ballast bags. If you're not sure about having plug n play, send pics of the rear compartments. Also, if you have a switch on the dash for "bow ballast fill/drain", then that's a dead giveaway that you have plug-n-play.

So I know this thread is old but wanted to ask about something. You said if you have a switch that says front ballast fill/drain that’s a dead giveaway that uou have plug n play but my boat I just got had the front fill/drain but only seems to be plumbed for the rears. All I see for the front is underneath the chillax seats in the front are two large hoses going to a Y connection then the line goes under the drivers helm. 

What do I need to do to get the front plug n play filled plumed for the arrow sack?

11 hours ago, Buddybrown17 said:

So I know this thread is old but wanted to ask about something. You said if you have a switch that says front ballast fill/drain that’s a dead giveaway that uou have plug n play but my boat I just got had the front fill/drain but only seems to be plumbed for the rears. All I see for the front is underneath the chillax seats in the front are two large hoses going to a Y connection then the line goes under the drivers helm. 

What do I need to do to get the front plug n play filled plumed for the arrow sack?

If you have the hoses then it’s plumbed. You need to buy the sack and install it using those hoses.