Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

(New here) Looking to get info about wakeboard and wakesurfing to purchase the correct boat

adamf4i

Also looking to buy a boat ,I dont know enough about prices so honestly seeing some stuff for close to 10k that i want to buy.  Im seeing alot more stuff for about 15k 

Can you guys school me on what to look for when purchasing a boat or what I can get away with buying to do alot of wakeboarding and wakesurfing this summer.

THanks in advance for the responses

You want to look for a V-Drive boat, hands-down. Typically an early 2000's Malibu V-Drive will work out well. That's probably going to end up being more in the 15-20k range depending on condition.

That boat is going to be more geared towards skiing than surfing or wake-boarding. Do you know the difference between a direct drive and V drive? 

39 minutes ago, adamf4i said:

1998 malibu sportster lx, is this a decent boat for doin these activities ?

Not really.  As said above you really need the engine in the back (V drive) and more weight for surfing and wake boarding.  Sportster was a slalom boat.

34 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Not really.  As said above you really need the engine in the back (V drive) and more weight for surfing and wake boarding.  Sportster was a slalom boat.

even if you put a wakeshaper and ballast bags in the back of it ?

If you're on a tight budget lots of direct drive boats will wakeboard well. They're also super easy to work on and can be had for cheaper than v drives.  Not to mention they're a blast to drive. 

The down sides are they usually dont surf very well and they ride worse In rough water. 

Since skiing and wakeboarding are infinitely more fun than surfing you may want a dd as your first boat. 

1 minute ago, adamf4i said:

It's not really a black and white issue.  Sure, you could load out a Sportster enough that a skilled surfer could stay on the wave (no tricks) but beginners would have difficulty.  Plus if you're on any type of rough water the the low free-board you would have might be a comfort, convenience, or safety issue.

4 minutes ago, adamf4i said:

It's hard to add enough ballast to counteract the engine in the middle in a small vessel w low freeboard. The ski boats are designed to be well balanced and light weight to produce a minimal wake. For surfing you want the opposite.  

I would say this will be used 90 % more for wakeboarding instead of wakesurfing , I Just wanted to be able to try it out as  I have only wakeboarding and not done any wakesurfing

Guys how does the sportster wake board?  

I know the mastercraft prostar 209 and the sport nautique both have good wake board wakes for dd boats. What malibu dd has the best wakeboard wake?  

Sometimes I prefer trying new wakeboard tricks on my friends dd sport nautique because his wake is more narrow that my lsv.