Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A22 standard options

Mitch83

9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I don’t understand. Please explain. 

You guys have put the expert spin on this whole thread.  And from post above. I would never be rude to a women. I just thought if we could all see the very simple sentence that this whole thread is about we could be done.  You all may have built many boats and I totally respect that. Just a newbie passing on what the brochure says. Like I said earlier. I wish now I kept it to myself.  This was my first time watching a thread like this. Exhausting day  never again. 

2 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

I guess someone has to ask...@goatv, have you ever taken off your shirt at a boat ramp and almost gotten into a fight? Because if you have this may turn out to be a great introduction after all...

I work in research. When I see something, I will go after the truth. Sorry for not taking opinions very well. And no fights at ramp yet.  I can see you guys with thousands of post do not like to be challenged. I'm just the opposite I like to get to the bottom of it you know learn something. 

51 minutes ago, goatv said:

Don't let these guys sway you. The brochure is clear. They all know how to post a picture but won't. One guy did then said it was an error right way.  So maybe it is an error. That's not for us to determine.  

Who cares! There is no price in the brochure so go ahead and call it a standard option.  I was give the option to downgrade from the standard option and save some money.  

5 hours ago, IXFE said:

Then as a researcher I would think you’d know that not all sources are created equal. Portal > Brochure. The marketing collateral that you still haven’t posted does not constitute a contract. The portal is all that matters when it comes to standard vs optional. What you’re being told are not opinions; they are the very facts you seek, you’re just too hung up on a lesser argument to see it  

Bottom line is this... The OP asked what was standard flooring. He’s now been told 100x. About the only person misleading him is you. 

Don’t be upset or get frustrated with us. And don’t feel bad about today. The people you’re talking to in this thread are all good people. Nobody holds a grudge. I hope you stay a while and participate more. And learn to post pics! I wanna see what you ordered. 

So from the beginning. Sources created equal. You don't decide which is superior portal or brochure dealer does. And in my case they said ok I'll honor brochure. Of course brochure not a contract never said it was. The portal is all that matters. Wrong again. What I am being is told is not opinions but facts. Wrong again. Bottom line Op asked about standard flooring. Wrong again. Op asked about the reference to the soft grip flooring being standard in brochure. 

So just from your one reply you have to start to wonder why you get no credibility. I'm far from upset. It is amazing that you experienced guys cannot fathom that someone used a sale brochure to help better their deal. But I'm the one hung up on stuff. 

5 minutes ago, goatv said:

in my case they said ok I'll honor brochure.

There is no price in the brochure so adding it at any cost is "honoring the brochure".  You thought you were holding them to the brochure but you were actually just negotiating the final sale price of the boat.  

The bottom line is soft grip is not a standard option. If you walk into any dealership and ask for it there is a cost associated with it.  If you ask them to honor the brochure they will gladly honor it and you will magically lose $1100 of negotiation power. 

3 minutes ago, vanamp said:

There is no price in the brochure so adding it at any cost is "honoring the brochure".  You thought you were holding them to the brochure but you were actually just negotiating the final sale price of the boat.  

The bottom line is soft grip is not a standard option. If you walk into any dealership and ask for it there is a cost associated with it.  If you ask them to honor the brochure they will gladly honor it and you will magically lose $1100 of negotiation power. 

Yep pretty much. But in my case I was done negotiating so it improved my price.  Same with Op I'm guessing since he is close to building. What you said is exactly right. I should of never said it's  standard since I had to reference the book. More of a leverage tool to help to get better price, and if it reduces price by exact amount of flooring cost I'd say it was included. 

I will chime in here having successfully negotiated a great deal on a 2018 21 VLX. I had every brochure and had seen every possible video online of this boat (all of which showed soft grip flooring and lots of other things). After the money was saved up for the machine I went to the Toronto boat show to play ‘let’s make a deal’. To my small surprise I quickly found out that soft grip flooring, PnP bags and the clamping racks were not standard options on a VLX - even the subwoofer isn’t standard. I wasn’t disappointed...it just meant I had to work a little harder at negotiating a mutually beneficial deal - so negotiate I did. 

To their credit they had not mislead me - the Malibu brochures and marketing video got me to the show and never did they promise those options that I wanted were standard on the VLX (a lot is standard...some are not). To my credit Malibu didn’t know whether I wanted to buy a Mastercraft XT21 or a VLX with the saved money burning a whole in my pocket - so I spent some time at that Mastercraft booth 30 feet away from Malibu’s. I was there to buy a Bu, 100%, but I was also there to get what I wanted...so you turn up the heat a bit.

‘Nothing in life is free’ BUT ‘there is always  more than one way to skin a cat’. 

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

We understand just fine... you managed to take a s***ty deal and make it only sorta s***ty. 

Congratulations, we’re all impressed with your keen negotiating skills. Although based on my experience with you in just this thread I’m guessing the brochure had nothing to do with it. The dealer probably just wanted to make you finally shut up. I can appreciate the feeling. 

Edit: Still can’t manage to upload your “facts” huh?  Such a shame. 

Still not sure why you mad?  I mentioned what I got you all said no way.  Yep it is a shame that people to come this forum for info and you select few are the ones dishing it.

5 minutes ago, goatv said:

https://ibb.co/ch6MHy

4 pages of discussion over this first paragraph.  

That is an A24, not an A22. Although, it does say the same about the A22.

My suspicion is that the "Standard" soft grip flooring may only be for the swim platform and rear-step, not the entire interior. It's misleading, at the very least.

Edited by boardjnky4

I think what we are seeing here, is that you waited till the last minute to ask for these items for free (whether that was strategy or not is a moot point). It is essentially the same thing as “walking away”. We all have done it. It’s how you get a good deal. Or how you make a good deal “great”. You asked for these items for free, and the dealer made it happen so you didn’t walk away. I did that for some items as well, and I didn’t need to use language in a brochure to secure it. But to sit here and call all of us owners dumb for not using this language to get a discount, is a little annoying (as can be seen by the amount of us “arguing” with you). Heck, I rarely post. But after reading this thread for a page and a half I had to jump in.

Trust me, stick around and you’ll realize there is a wealth of knowledge here that everyone is willing to share. It’s what makes this group great AND fun. 

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

I think what we are seeing here, is that you waited till the last minute to ask for these items for free (whether that was strategy or not is a moot point). It is essentially the same thing as “walking away”. We all have done it. It’s how you get a good deal. Or how you make a good deal “great”. You asked for these items for free, and the dealer made it happen so you didn’t walk away. I did that for some items as well, and I didn’t need to use language in a brochure to secure it. But to sit here and call all of us owners dumb for not using this language to get a discount, is a little annoying (as can be seen by the amount of us “arguing” with you). Heck, I rarely post. But after reading this thread for a page and a half I had to jump in.

Trust me, stick around and you’ll realize there is a wealth of knowledge here that everyone is willing to share. It’s what makes this group great AND fun. 

Actually is was not that serious.  I asked they said cool, like you guys said there was enough fluff in my deal.  You all do have knowledge and I respect that.  Has been fun getting to know how people respond to questions.  And for the record I never called anyone dumb for not using the language like you say.  I only referenced the brochure the whole time.    

29 minutes ago, Raimie said:

So.... I guess I will comment once more.....

Looks like @goatv got 10% off MSRP on his out the door pricing if I am looking at it correctly. This is the "standard deal" on a custom axis order. Nothing more to see here.

Can we move on now?

Besides the point.. but you know this. 

Thanks for all the input guys. I’m happy with our boat the way we ordered it. Sure I would’ve liked to have the soft grip flooring, but didn’t want to pay another grand for it at the time. We wanted to make sure we got everything that couldn’t be added at a later date, to help keep our price down. My wife had brought it to my attention the other day that it was on the website so I figured this was a good place to ask. 

We’re pretty pumped about our boat, going from a 1997 18’ stingray to a brand new Axis A22. I’m sure I’ll be on here asking a bunch of questions since this is our first wake/surf boat. 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, goatv said:

And for the record I never called anyone dumb for not using the language like you say.

"But hey. I'm new here and you guys have all the experience. I'm just a guy that reads and comprehends things."

"And to think I came to this site for info before purchasing a bunch of CNN fake news today."

"Go watch CNN "

No, you didn't call us "dumb" verbatim....but the message was loud and clear. 

Also, to the OP...you have many ways to get a great deal when you buy a boat. And speaking from experience, I would say that 10% off msrp is not a great deal when buying an AXIS, you can do better than that, and you don't need a brochure to get it.

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
10 minutes ago, Mitch83 said:

Thanks for all the input guys. I’m happy with our boat the way we ordered it. Sure I would’ve liked to have the soft grip flooring, but didn’t want to pay another grand for it at the time. We wanted to make sure we got everything that couldn’t be added at a later date, to help keep our price down. My wife had brought it to my attention the other day that it was on the website so I figured this was a good place to ask. 

We’re pretty pumped about our boat, going from a 1997 18’ stingray to a brand new Axis A22. I’m sure I’ll be on here asking a bunch of questions since this is our first wake/surf boat. 

You are going to love it and luckily like you said the flooring can be added later. It isn't hard to put down. This year Gatorstep did a group buy that was a pretty significant discount, maybe they will do it again next year!

ahopkins22LSV
10 minutes ago, Raimie said:

It's not besides the point... it IS the point of the last 4 pages of discussion.

I'll lay it out for ya...

Standard Axis Custom Boat pricing - 10% off MSRP (including dealer prep, shipping, etc)

Good Deal Axis Custom Boat pricing - 12-15% off MSRP

Great Deal Axis Custom Boat pricing - 16-19% off MSRP

Smokin' Deal Axis Custom Boat pricing - 20 or more % off MSRP

No matter what boxes are checked, standard options included, how much dealer prep charge is, what the dealer 'throws' in, factory rebates, dealer incentives etc...  it all comes down to MSRP vs. out the door cost. That was the point we have been trying to make for the last 4 pages.

The point Raimie is making is that ok, you got the flooring and bolster for free per your dealer spec sheet. But you paid more for everything else still totalling the same price as you would have if you didn’t get the floor and bolster for “free” because you got about 10% off. 

Now with the OP trying to keep cost down he could have used the marketing verbiage to maybe get a bigger % off. Let’s just say his msrp was 80k and his out the door price was 70k then he negotiated the floor and seat in without effecting his out the door price. His msrp would have gone up to about 82.5k. There is no way around that. It will go up, it’s built into the portal. The dealer can honor his out the door price though and he now gets a bigger percent off msrp. The sheet you posted is not from the portal. Your dealer typed that up. If they were to give you the portal build sheet you would see the price for the floor and bolster.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Mitch83 said:

We love our A22.  I also didn't check the box for soft flooring and wish I did....but I'm hoping we can get another gatorstep group buy going this season as it comes out significantly less than $1100 for floor.  Got busy at work for a couple months, kids sports, etc. and I miss out on the one group buy I was waiting for.  The floor won't make your summer better or worse so enjoy the purchase and don't look back.

• Like 2

Enjoy the ride man, you will love the boat. 'The poorest die the richest' so spend less time worrying about what you paid or think you need...just create the memories with the fam that will last longer than any amount of money you might have saved on the boat deal - flooring or not :rockon:

you guys are making me feel good about my 2017 A22 purchase. ballpark purchase price was 25% off of MSRP with Marine Mat, from what I can tell every bit as good as gatorstep.