Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 LSV ballast level display

Hey everyone! 
Does anyone know why the ballast level readout on the Malivu is so course? Meaning only showing 25% increments? 
The senders they use are plenty capable of reading "infinite" level, so I'm curious as to why the coders/engineers decided to program it that way? 
The fuel level shows "full sweep", so the coding is there and it's not a "sloshing" issue. 

Just thinking out loud about this, maybe I figured it out. Maybe it is due to the sloshing issue, but only when running the presets. If you only run 50%, or if using a finer readout, say 65%, the boat would be constantly hunting to keep that level accurate while underway IF that level was selected utilizing the full MLS setup. Or does it achieve that preset and then ignore it until a new one is selected? 

Did I inadvertently figure it out, or completely in left field? :lol:

This is a guess, but given the way most of us are taught in our school systems everyone learns empty, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full so it is an easy transition. And as much crap as most of us average Joes/Josephine's store in our boats and the day to day variables of passengers and gear I doubt even a professional boarder or surfer is going to notice a performance altering difference between 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. BICBW. The new(er) boats may have the more graduated ballast reading option IDK and it sounds like the PW3 will or does have more adjustability (a good and usable upgrade IMO). I haven't experienced the hunting in the MLS unless I some how lost water in the tank, loose hose clamp in my case and the MLS will/did compensate then shut off. If you go the MUX switch route to fill and don't select one of the 10 pre-sets on the MUX it will continue to fill or drain until you shut it off per the pump or ALL OFF.

That's a damn solid point about not even noticing the difference between 1/2 and 3/8, or 50% and 60%. And really most likely the driving force behind it. 
I kinda thought after I posted this that maybe it's to keep people from fixating on the levels while underway and being irritated that it won't hold the level, thereby keeping their tech lines and dealerships free to handle normal issues.  

This was just the engineer/coder in me that thinks it would be cool to fiddle with it. 

So the MLS WILL indeed re-adjust the ballast when a preset is selected? That's cool. 
Right I knew that using the MUX switches was 100% manual. 

I can only imagine dealing with certain customers:

"My left rear ballast gauge is wrong, it reads 65% but I know its 85% full, and the center tank shows 35% but theres really 40% in there. I need these dead on cause my perfect wave is left rear tank 37%, right rear tank 48%, center tank 89% and front tank 12%. I need this fixed, under warranty, and I know its 4pm on friday, but I need my boat by tomorrow."

Lol!

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, COOP said:

I can only imagine dealing with certain customers:

"My left rear ballast gauge is wrong, it reads 65% but I know its 85% full, and the center tank shows 35% but theres really 40% in there. I need these dead on cause my perfect wave is left rear tank 37%, right rear tank 48%, center tank 89% and front tank 12%. I need this fixed, under warranty, and I know its 4pm on friday, but I need my boat by tomorrow."

Lol!

:rofl:

13 minutes ago, wdr said:

I suppose you could get the computer to be NASA spot on, but everything it is supporting is horse and buggy technology in comparison.

Excellent comparison for sure. 

That all being said I think it would be cool to figure out just for my own project. But I'm sure I can't get into the BCM (body control module....or in this case boat control module) and alter the code just for fun.

28 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

:rofl:

Excellent comparison for sure. 

That all being said I think it would be cool to figure out just for my own project. But I'm sure I can't get into the BCM (body control module....or in this case boat control module) and alter the code just for fun.

Be careful fooling with those older viper modules, if it crashes you gotta buy a new one, and they arent cheap, set ya back $700-1500(there a couple versions, some with Lenco compatibility, some with out) depending on the module you have. 

4 minutes ago, COOP said:

Be careful fooling with those older viper modules, if it crashes you gotta buy a new one, and they arent cheap, set ya back $700-1500(there a couple versions, some with Lenco compatibility, some with out) depending on the module you have. 

Welp that ended that project!