Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power wedge 2 question.

Cboom12

I’m asking this here because I figure there is a lot more pw2 experience in the Malibu forum..

anyway I have pw2 on my a24, is there any way to calibrate the auto wedge feature. When we take off for wakeboarding it’s in lift mode, then around 18 mph it goes to auto wedge and it takes another 30 sec at least to get on plane and up to speed. It seems to work better when i manually set it after we r up to speed. Can I make auto wedge kick in later?

ahopkins22LSV

I’m not sure to your question and I’m not sure on my suggestion either, but can you turn auto wedge off? Then you can keep the wedge in lift then click it to the desired setting once you are on plane. 

7 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I’m not sure to your question and I’m not sure on my suggestion either, but can you turn auto wedge off? Then you can keep the wedge in lift then click it to the desired setting once you are on plane. 

I’m gonna see if I can do this, might be the best option I have. 

something seems wrong then. 

This is how we see PW2 working on axis:

1st set: Wedge set to lift mode

Boat gets to Perfect Pass set speed

Manually press wedge down to desired setting (say 3).

Rider falls

2nd set: wedge auto goes to lift mode

rider gets up and wedge stays in lift mode till 20mph then engages to previous setting (3).

If you boat is taking 30sec to get from 20 to wake speed (22.3?-23?) then i believe you are weighted wrong or wedge is set to aggressive? 

Wedge is at 2, the problem seems to be that the pw2 is kicking in way too early, like instead of going from lift mode to 2 at 20-21 mph it comes on at like 18. We generally ride at 21.6 

In my experience, 19 is usually the magic number where it goes from lift to the set position, on a Malibu. You must really be slamming your boat if it's taking that long to get from 18 to 21.5

Edited by boardjnky4
4 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

In my experience, 19 is usually the magic number where it goes from lift to the set position, on a Malibu. You must really be slamming your boat if it's taking that long to get from 18 to 21.5

That’s the thing, it’s stock plus plug and play. And we are at sea level. 

And maybe 30sec is a small exaggeration, I haven’t timed it. It just seems that the wedge kicks in right as it’s getting on plane causing it to plow again for a few seconds. 

I'm pretty sure the wedge shouldn't come out of lift mode until you've hit your desired wakeboard speed that you set during your first run.  In your case 21.6.  Maybe the first time you activated the wedge (manually) out of lift mode you were going 18mph?

well i personally feel that PNP weights to boat too rear heavy. so that could be it once you add the wedge drag.... 

We see it kicking int at 20mph... the manual says different:

AUTO WEDGE: Auto wedge will automatically move the wedge from Lift to a user-selected Wedge 1 thru 6 position when speed goes above 17 mph. This function only works in wakeboard speeds. It will return to Lift when the speed drops below 15 mph.

So it seems like your wedge is running properly but your a bit too rear heavy... its also a wakeboard it suppose to take a while to get on plane =D

Ya sounds like it’s doing what it’s supposed to. I’ve been thinking about adding lead to the bow or drawing the rear bags a bit because I also feel like it’s a little stern heavy. I’ll try it and see if it helps. 

• Like 1
On 6/13/2018 at 1:27 PM, boardjnky4 said:

I believe it goes from lift to preset in auto mode when the boat gets to 80% of target set speed, or so I was told when I demoed the 23LSV. 

Edited by BlackBluMalibu