Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

There´s a hole in the Bucket dear Liza!!

I think we hit a piece of drift wood the other day. In any case we know have a chunk of Fiberglass missing on the bottom of the boat along one of the "edges" of the hull. (Where the vertical part of the hull meets the bottom. ) Sorry I don´t have any pictures, but the piece is about 2 inches long at the most and maybe an inch wide. Some kind of black material is visible now from the hull. Do we have to worry about water getting in or osmosis or any other kind of damage before we repair it? The Bu is in the water right now, and we would like to leave it there until the end of the season. Proabably another 4 weeks.

Thanks,

Andy

I'd get that boat out of the water. The sooner you get that sealed up the better IMO.
Yes & No. Biggrin.gif

Yes, get the boat out of the water ASAP, but make sure that you let the fiberglass dry out completely before you repair it otherwise the repair will not hold.

I was afraid of that! Is there any way to "temporairly" seal it so that it will hold until the end of the season?

Something that doesn´t look pretty?

I was afraid of that! Is there any way to "temporarily" seal it so that it will hold until the end of the season? Something that doesn´t look pretty?
The problem would be that water has already gotten into the fiberglass layers and it needs to dry before you seal it up.

Might not be any worse than the water that sits between the false floor in our malibu engine compartments and the boat hull.

I would get it out of the water, let it sit for three or four days, then seal it up with some silicone caulk. That should hold for a month or two. Just keep an eye on it. The silicone will come off easy enough when it's time to do the real repair.

If it was me, I would pull the boat out immediately, let it dry out as others have stated, and fix it right before you put it back in. If it means you miss the end of the season, so be it. If it was an old beater boat, than you could try to make a quick repair to get by, but I wouldn't risk making a small problem a bigger problem on a new boat.

Yes.

Fiberglass itself is porous and will draw moisture causing damage if left unprotected by gel coat.

True, but I thought I read somewhere that Malibu uses a marine resin--similar to the AME 5000 used by CC--that is less prone to wicking moisture.

Nonetheless, I'd get it fixed and not do a temporary fix. A good gelcoat guy can have it fixed in no time.