Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Malibu Response Sterep

Ryder1587

Gents,

I just bought a Response a week ago and I'm super stoked about it.  That being said, the speakers and head unit suck and I need to change them out.  I had a JBL receivers with the remotes on the dash and back of the boat.  JBL doesn't make any more head units that I can find so I have to change out the remotes as well.  Does anyone know the size of the cutouts for the JBL remotes so I can figure out which brand I need to order? It's frustrating they aren't all the same size.

Thanks!

They are round.  I just saw that different receivers have different hole sizes even though they are all round ranging from 2.5-3.65 inches.  I just don't know the model so I'm not sure of the hole size.

• SO i Figured out it is a JBLREM20GSB remote.  I can't find the dimensions anywhere online since it's so old.  I want a new head unit but JBL doesn't make them anymore so if I got a different brand then the remotes mounted to the boat would not work anymore.  Any suggestions?
  •  
10 minutes ago, Ryder1587 said:
  • SO i Figured out it is a JBLREM20GSB remote.  I can't find the dimensions anywhere online since it's so old.  I want a new head unit but JBL doesn't make them anymore so if I got a different brand then the remotes mounted to the boat would not work anymore.  Any suggestions?
  •  

I went through this too, my conclusion is there really is no "matching stuff".  I think mine was pioneer and still could not make anything direct match.  But really if you are now running bluetooth, the need for that other than volume is minimal so maybe just call it a relic.  It retro something new in.  I just gave up and mine no longer works 

I think I'm going to have to do the same thing.  If I just unplug the remotes from the head unit and then leave it be it shouldn't be a problem as far as the rest of the speakers and amp?

I have an 03 Response LX that had the JBL remotes.  I replaced those with the Sony RM-X11M versions.  They fit perfectly in the old holes.  The Sony remotes were hard to find (I think I got mine from Overtons).  To make this work I did have to purchase a Y fitting on the audio wire to tie the two remotes to the receiver as well as ditching a lot of the old wiring.  I also replaced the old receiver and speakers with a Sony equipment at the same time.  Crutchfield has the O&M manual for these remotes with dimensions.

Edited by Slalommidwest
9 hours ago, Ryder1587 said:

I think I'm going to have to do the same thing.  If I just unplug the remotes from the head unit and then leave it be it shouldn't be a problem as far as the rest of the speakers and amp?

The remotes left hanging will not effect the speakers and amp(s) once a new head unit is installed. 

The Fusion MS-NRX300 is 4-3/8W x 2-3/4H and the clarion MW1 is 3.6" dia round. 

I replaced my JBL remotes and head unit a few years ago with Kenwood stuff. Head unit is KDC-X798 and remotes KCA-RC35MR. Local stereo shop supplied it. I still like the transom remote for when we swim and lounge around. I did add a WS-420 as elk fornuse when underway, so much easier to adjust inmost vs tower volumes. 

Good luck. 

They all use their own proprietary cables and communication protocol.  New head = new remotes and cables. Typically goes the other way too. Need new remote? yep, good chance you need new head unit also.