Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Setup for replacing all 8 channels

macdonjo

I'm working from scratch on an 8 channel setup for my Malibu.

The holes look to be for 4x 8-inch in the back with 4x 6.5-inch in the front.

I think I should be able to get 4x half-decent 8-inch speakers for $500 or under, like these Kickers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KM84LC/Kicker-43KM84LCW.html?tp=61755

30 hz on the low end isn't bad. I don't know if there's something else I can look at so I don't have to put in a sub right away lol..

For the front, I think I'll try two pairs of these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641M654C/Kicker-KM654CW.html?tp=61755

I think I'll need 2 amps and am kind of lost there, especially if I consider doing a sub.

I may leave the sub out for this phase as I'll be able to fit a sub with the new towers on the 3rd amp when I cross that bridge.

But I could put the 4 fronts on a 5-channel amp so I can have room for a sub. Like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GMD9605/Pioneer-GM-D9605.html?tp=35808

For the back, I'm not sure if I can get 4x 150 RMS 4 ohm amp for under $750, but might do: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PDXF6/Alpine-PDX-F6.html?tp=35782

If I do a sub, maybe this for $300: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DCWC122/Kicker-44DCWC122.html?tp=112

All that above is $2150 + tax/shipping/install.

Thoughts? Better options for this price range?

Edited by macdonjo

I went a bit nuts and bought a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 (https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/3sixty3/) I was able to take the 3 stereo inputs from the Malibu head unit (F, R, Sub) and send them to 4 pairs of outputs as well as EQ them. I now can run as many (or as few) amps as I want to get a desired result. My current setup is:

1. 8 (factory) in-boat speakers via 2x 4 channel amps, full-range (font)
2. 1 (factory) subwoofer via a bridged 2 channel amp
3. 4 (tower) custom-built HLCDs with 2 Beta8-CX on one amp per side and 4 ASD1001 on one 4 channel amp

Yes, I have 6 amplifiers in the boat, but the sound is perfectly EQ'd "clean" and it gets louder than I want to run it. For my next trick I'm adding in surf specific speakers...

27 minutes ago, macdonjo said:

think I should be able to get 4x half-decent 8-inch speakers for $500 or under,

Sure, but those in your link are better then half decent. But just be advised, they are on the smaller end of the 8" class, so they will need a backing ring to fit the OEM holes. They come with RGB LEDs, so why not go with the matching 6.5 version. Just put an "L" in the model number. 

30 hz on the low end isn't bad. I don't know if there's something else I can look at so I don't have to put in a sub right away lol..

You should really do a woofer. You are not going to want to drive these that low. Way more efficient to let a woofer do handle the low notes. 

I think I'll need 2 amps and am kind of lost there, especially if I consider doing a sub.

A 6 chnl amp would do just perfect. One that can deliver up to 600W rms to a 4 ohm woofer and 100W rms to each of the 8 in-boats. 2 pair of 6.5 on 2 chnls and 2 pair of main cabin 8" on the remaining 2 chnls. Plenty of power for all the speakers, one amp to mount and wire. True marine and very efficient. 

Thats a great woofer setup for a car or truck, but not a boat. Pass on the pre-built MDF carpet covered unsealed car enclosure. Go with a single marine 4 ohm 12" in a custom built ported enclosure under the helm. it will last longer and deliver plenty or output. A dual enclosure like that would get relegated to the port locker where its closed up and insulated.  

Edited by MLA
17 minutes ago, MLA said:

Sure, but those in your link are better then half decent. But just be advised, they are on the smaller end of the 8" class, so they will need a backing ring to fit the OEM holes. They come with RGB LEDs, so why not go with the matching 6.5 version. Just put an "L" in the model number. 

You should really do a woofer. You are not going to want to drive these that low. Way more efficient to let a woofer do handle the low notes. 

A 6 chnl amp would do just perfect. One that can deliver up to 600W rms to a 4 ohm woofer and 100W rms to each of the 8 in-boats. 2 pair of 6.5 on 2 chnls and 2 pair of main cabin 8" on the remaining 2 chnls. Plenty of power for all the speakers, one amp to mount and wire. True marine and very efficient. 

Thats a great woofer setup for a car or truck, but not a boat. Pass on the pre-built MDF carpet covered unsealed car enclosure. Go with a single marine 4 ohm 12" in a custom built ported enclosure under the helm. it will last longer and deliver plenty or output. A dual enclosure like that would get relegated to the port locker where its closed up and insulated.  

It seems both of the 8" options have an "L" in the model number: Kicker 43KM84LCW and Kicker 45KM84L.

I'm confused on the amp setup you're talking about. How will a 6 channel work for 8 speakers and a sub? What kind of amps offer 1400W (600W + 8x100W)?

Edited by macdonjo
3 hours ago, macdonjo said:

43KM84LCW and Kicker 45KM84L.

the "43" model is retired, and the "45" is the new current model. Some cosmetic changes to the grill and an improvement to the RGB LED. 

With a 6 chnl, you can bridge a 4 ohm woofer on two chnls, netting up to 600W. This leaves 4 chnls to power the 4 pair of in-boats. With each pair wired in parallel, the amp can deliver 200 watts rms from each chnl @ 2 ohm, so netting each speaker 100W. 

Having the smaller speakers on one half (2 chnls) of the amp and the 8" on the other half, you can tune them individually based on size and power handling. 

2 hours ago, MLA said:

the "43" model is retired, and the "45" is the new current model. Some cosmetic changes to the grill and an improvement to the RGB LED. 

With a 6 chnl, you can bridge a 4 ohm woofer on two chnls, netting up to 600W. This leaves 4 chnls to power the 4 pair of in-boats. With each pair wired in parallel, the amp can deliver 200 watts rms from each chnl @ 2 ohm, so netting each speaker 100W. 

Having the smaller speakers on one half (2 chnls) of the amp and the 8" on the other half, you can tune them individually based on size and power handling. 

How will I run 2 ohms if both those speakers are 4 ohm impedance? 

The only 2-ohm speaker Kicker has are those 4"

https://www.kicker.com/km-coaxials#modelssection

Edited by macdonjo