Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater Problems

So, like it says, the heater is blowing but no warm air. Talked to the dealer briefly and he said that a hose is either plugged or has got kinked. We removed both hoses on the engine where the water goes to the heater and back to the engine and hooked up a garden hose to one side and let `er have it! Water goes through just fine, even at low pressure with the nozzle from the garden hose barely open. Hooked everything back up and same problem. Any ideas?!?! I can´t believe that a hose would be kinked. How? And besides that, the water went through the heater with the garden hose.

Appreciate any help!

Andy

Is this happening all the time or only at idle?

Could you explain in detail how everything is plumbed on the engine side? There have been some instances of them being plumbed wrong from the factory, but I believe they were limited to the y-adapter being put in after the impeller rather than before.

Mike

Is the lack of heat only at low RPM or regardless of RPM? It is not unusual for the heater to blow cool at low RPM. There are some threads in history discussing ways to improve waterflow at low RPM.

Your engine should run at about 160 degrees which should provide plenty of heat, but again at low RPM the pressure drops and the water does not circulate as well.

The boat was new this year and the heater worked during the spring. We were aware of the low RPM´s not producing heat and that was one of the projects on our list for this winter. Our heater is not producing any heat at idle OR at wakeboard speed. Seems unusual, doesn´t it?

Check for restrictions (weeds, debris, etc) at the oil cooler. Any restriction in the water line will reduce the suction or supposed venturi effect on the water line coming from the heater. This is assuming that you have the Y fitting on the pressure side of the raw water pump, seeing how you have a 2006 year boat.

The other spot to just check is the fitting on the manifold, where water should flow out towards the heater. At idle it's near zero pressure, but it's easy to check.

Peter

The inlet of the oiler cooler....is that the round bump, or "strainer ", just slightly off to the right hand side of the hull underneath the engine? When you say check it, I am assuming get down there with a pair of goggles and remove the stuff with my hand. Or should we remove the piece and flush it or something else??

Thanks again,

Andy

Andy,

put a raw water strainer on your winter to do list as well!

I retrofitted a sherwood sea strainer (www.skidim.com, 41.95$). Installation was easy as can be and it keeps the water lines (heater/impeller/oil cooler) free from leaves, weed etc. Just a quick cleaning of the screen every now and then and you are on the safe side!

Greets,

David

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help everybody! The hose going to the oil cooler was the problem. Took us about 3 minutes

to remove the hose, remove the leaves and refit the hose. Looks like we will install one of those strainers though that Chaabo put in his boat.

Andy

• 1 month later...
Andy,

put a raw water strainer on your winter to do list as well!

I retrofitted a sherwood sea strainer (www.skidim.com, 41.95$). Installation was easy as can be and it keeps the water lines (heater/impeller/oil cooler) free from leaves, weed etc. Just a quick cleaning of the screen every now and then and you are on the safe side!

Greets,

David

David,

Where exactly did you install this, just prior to the oil cooler?

John

David,

Where exactly did you install this, just prior to the oil cooler?

John

Just between the raw water intake and the raw water pump.

(I have a DD, and heard that on VD's it's a lot more complicated due to the limited space.)

Hey Chaabo, is it safe to assume your installation is horizontal? By that, I mean the unit lays on its side with the bowl the same height as the intake hose. Do the instructions list any specific requirements for mounting orientation?

Hey Chaabo, is it safe to assume your installation is horizontal? By that, I mean the unit lays on its side with the bowl the same height as the intake hose. Do the instructions list any specific requirements for mounting orientation?

Hi!

If a horizontal install is safe or not, I can't say, but I think yes.

The strainer came w/o any installation notes.

I installed it with two 90degree elbow-fittings, screwed directly into the strainer (1 1/4 inch from Lowes). The one to the pump is facing upwards. The strainer sits on the side of the engine compartment right at the plastic panel that covers the bilge pump. It is just fixed with cable ties.

Sorry I have no picture of the finished installation, just one checking where it could fit, prior to my final installation...

HTH!

post-334-1163347667_thumb.jpg