Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Inconsistent oil pressure

I have a 2003 Wakesetter VLX with inconsistent oil pressure. When I first launch and get going I am running somewhere between 40-60 (per the in dash gauge) sometimes it stays at this pressure the whole time on the water. Then at other times the pressure drops (per the gauge) to between 0-18. This makes no sense to me, I know the engine still has oil pressure but the gauge is not reading correctly.

I have replace the sending unit and the problem still persists.

Any and all help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

As @Woodski suggests, it sounds more like a bad ground than a failing sender unit.  Check the terminal of the sender and clean the connections.  Having said that, your boat is of the age that the oil pressure sending unit tends to fail.  It's an easy swap...just don't put teflon tape on it, as it needs a ground to the block to function.  Bring in the old one to an auto parts store and mention it is off a 1999 Chevy Suburban 350 and it should match.

2r289lk.jpg

16 hours ago, Woodski said:

I suggest checking all your electrical connections and make sure your grounds are good, maybe clean the battery terminals.

Thank you I will recheck all of the connections. The batteries are both new as well as all of the battery cables.

13 hours ago, formulaben said:

As @Woodski suggests, it sounds more like a bad ground than a failing sender unit.  Check the terminal of the sender and clean the connections.  Having said that, your boat is of the age that the oil pressure sending unit tends to fail.  It's an easy swap...just don't put teflon tape on it, as it needs a ground to the block to function.  Bring in the old one to an auto parts store and mention it is off a 1999 Chevy Suburban 350 and it should match.

2r289lk.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions, I will do both. Also appreciate the picture and the information on getting a new sending unit.

The dash only sends 5 volts to the sender to produce a 4-20 mA signal.  This is how instrumentation works in the 21 century.  A good clean connection is a must at all sending units these days, even the treads of the sender must be clean.  I installed a small 0-100 psi glycerin filled gauge along with the senders for piece of mind.

Check ALL grounds you can find.  Most of my gauge issues were resolved when I found the ground at the fuel sensor was loose.  The other issue was oil sender, replaced good as new. 

Edited by racer808
  • 2 weeks later...

So I replaced the sending unit, with the part from amazon, super easy switch out. The needle no longer bounces. However, when first running we are at about 60-70 psi. almost to the top. Only after a pretty solid warm up does it get to about 50 and no lower. Is this normal? May car is much different but wondering if the oil viscosity is thicker and therefor higher pressure, should I be concerned?

@firefed22:  Yes, normal and probably nothing to be concerned about.  You are taking in cold water from the lake, not recirculated water that is being warmed up so warm up time is longer, you are most likely and highly probable you are running a higher viscosity oil which will have higher pressure particularly when cold.  I do recommend warming up the engine before a hard pull.

3 hours ago, firefed22 said:

Is this normal? May car is much different

Auto manufactures typically skew the readings on their analog gauges.  They keep them close to "centered", through software, for a wide range of values.  They will only indicate too high or too low if thing get way out of whack.  This way they keep costumers happy.

I really don't like this practice, because they just converting the gauges into idiot lights.

Try hooking up an old school mechanical gauge in your car and you will see the difference.