Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf gate switch L/R wave slow to reform ?

NJ2018T22

2018 T22 AXIS, L/R rear 850s about 3/4 full, wedge 1 or 2 clicks, makes for a nice wave, pretty long too, but I see all these videos of guys going from star/port side and the wave picks right up.  When we do the switch, via the wristband and try to time the beeps, the wave never seems to be ready when we jump to the other side.  We are running about 10.7 mph.  Any advice?   Also, is it just me or are these boats very difficult to turn while the gates are out?.  Dont get me wrong, I love the boat and the wave, just wondering if this is normal.  I'm coming from an older centurion with a homemade surfgate and it turned just fine.

t-surf.jpg

normal.  On transfers, if you are trying do it from way back there, it'll never work.  Charge the platform and try to do it as close to the boat as possible.

Always turn the boat around in the direction of the extended surf gate. It also helps to start turning the wheel while you’re still at speed. Then as you drop the throttle down, the surge of water behind you will spin the boat right around. Basically simultaneous steering and slowing down.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Always turn the boat around in the direction of the extended surf gate. It also helps to start turning the wheel while you’re still at speed. Then as you drop the throttle down, the surge of water behind you will spin the boat right around. Basically simultaneous steering and slowing down.

Thx

6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

normal.  On transfers, if you are trying do it from way back there, it'll never work.  Charge the platform and try to do it as close to the boat as possible.

Thx

Some tips that helped me a bunch for transfers...

For transfer newbs run a lot less ballast weight in boat and use the PW2 to flatten out the wave (run it on lowest resistance setting aka 1 click).  It will make the transfers easier to learn so you dont have to push over a larger wave and also reduce the drop down to avoid slipping out.  Once you start to get the hang of it you can start to move back up to your regular ballast weight and wave size.

Keep the rope in your hand so you can get a lot of reps in.

As soon as you transfer and drop in your on the gas (leaning forward/weight on front foot) this will help you from falling out.

Watch your gates, the beeper/lights work but when first learning it helps for timing to watch one gate close and the other open.

Surf on your off side a bunch, just learn how to stay in the wave.  Again, use the rope to practice.  Once you start to learn your off side it will make the transfer much easier.

As @shawndoggy mentioned close to platform when transfering...as you become more advanced you will be able to drop back a little further.

• 4 weeks later...