Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Refinishing Power Wedge

Hey everyone,

I just took delivery of my boat yesterday and I noticed that the finish on the Power Wedge has been damaged.  Has anyone polished their’s and if so, what did you use?

634F3BA0-7652-451D-A1BA-6F4686D7773C.jpeg

That's not damaged. That's just the anodized finish wearing off.  Happens to all of the older wedges.  Helped along by the different metals in the wedge assembly.  I think if you look back far enough you'll find threads on here where the plates were refurbished.  Dont forget a sacrificial anode on the wedge.

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2018 at 2:12 PM, Slurpee said:

That's not damaged. That's just the anodized finish wearing off.  Happens to all of the older wedges.  Helped along by the different metals in the wedge assembly.  I think if you look back far enough you'll find threads on here where the plates were refurbished.  Dont forget a sacrificial anode on the wedge.

I’ve looked and looked but haven’t found any information on this.  Does anyone know how to restore or re-anodize one? 

1 hour ago, Norm02 said:

I’ve looked and looked but haven’t found any information on this.  Does anyone know how to restore or re-anodize one? 

Pull it off and walk it into a local shop that anodizes and powder coats and get a pro’s advice and quote. EOL. 

1 hour ago, Brad B said:

After I pulled mine off to pretty it up I never put it back on. Surf wave is better without it.

Hey Brad! Haven’t seen you in a while. Hope the family is doing great!

On 6/9/2018 at 1:11 PM, Norm02 said:

Hey everyone,

I just took delivery of my boat yesterday and I noticed that the finish on the Power Wedge has been damaged.  Has anyone polished their’s and if so, what did you use?

That is not a power wedge, it's the original manual wedge.  Make sure that the screws are tight that hold the foil onto the arms.  Some had a tendency to loosen up over time, more common on the 2 bolt (per side) like your picture shows.  The solution for many of them was to add a 3rd screw (machine shop).  If you can get the screws out and replace them with ones that are a tad bit shorter that works too (many believe that the loosening issue was due to the screws bottoming out in the holes), and add locktite.    

You can polish it up after using a wire wheel or wire cup after getting most of the heavy oxidation off.  If you can't seal it, it will go back to the same oxidized state.