Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New trailer for 98 Response LX

CoolJoeLuke

After 19 years, our trailer has several rust and integrity issues.  I think it's time for a replacement.  Any suggestions on repair or replacement options or dealers?

I live in Cinci but would drive to pick it up.

Edited by CoolJoeLuke
ahopkins22LSV

Repairing a trailer is super labor intensive and it’s hard to find someone to do it right. I’d give boatmate and Phoenix trailers a call and see what they quote you for a new one. It probably won’t be that much more then getting your current one repaired. 

I suspect the 98 response would fit very well on an echelon trailer. 

I had a trailer go bad and ended up buying a nautique 200 trailer for my 97 echelon.  Added a couple of bunks to make it fit better.  Lots cheaper than the $5k I was quoted for a new trailer.  

Why do we continue to purchase and sell box tube trailers?  

2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Go aluminum.  This is a 2013 under my 1994, LED, brakes, etc.  Dialed in.

59c273aebbe93_2017endofseasonontrailer5.thumb.jpg.f9e7a966d28380ae6784990a6c01ed6d.jpg

Where did you buy this? 

1 hour ago, Cazan said:

Where did you buy this? 

At one point I had two Echelons, a closed bow 454 for our ski team and my open bow 388.  The aluminum trailer came with the 454 boat when I bought it.  At some point in moving things around, launching, using the boat lift, etc. my 388 ended up on the aluminum trailer so I just left it that way.  I eventually sold the 454 boat, which was on my original Elite steel trailer.  In some ways it's an improvement (newer, no rust to ever worry about) but in other ways not so much (sits taller on the trailer, 2 axles make it very hard to move around by hand).  The trailer was sold by Pirate Marine (Ohio, same state as the OP) and was manufactured by Load Rite trailer.

1 hour ago, jaciche said:

And what what the cost savings versus buying a new steel trailer from say boatmate? @Michigan boarder

I have to believe it is cheaper, but I have not compared prices.  The trailers are bolted together, so they are totally customize-able.   

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mackie12 said:

that is just sexy........soooo clean and pretty........

I would give my right n*! for an echelon with a 454!

I hated to let it go. 

57c5d6e52099b_2016Closedandopenbowscompressed.thumb.jpg.65b93e9723ed65f5a82a80bf5a1cf2fc.jpg57c5df5c9a771_2016Closedandopenbows2compressed.thumb.jpg.ade8eff91af324123dd3836e6600fb8c.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cazan said:

http://piratemarine.net/guide.html

Ill def check this out.  My 99 boatmate is starting to rust but still has at least 5 years left.  

I wonder if they can paint match the Aluminum trailers? 

If you could update with a price (ball park) that would be great.

I agree when my trailer dies someday I'm going aluminum.  I priced those load rites and they are around 4 grand.   So this year I've be sprucing up my current trailer some b/c I can't justify it yet. 

My last boat had galvanize and it was great - sure they don't look good but man even after 33 years it looks like new.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...