Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need family boat advice Please!

LonnieJ

Long time lurker here, but now am on need of some boat advice:)  I currently have a 2007 Response LXI and although it is a great slalom/barefoot boat now that I have a family it isn't ideal:(   Both my wife and I enjoy recreational slalom skiing and riding the sky ski.  I have a buddy who has a 2006 wakesetter vlx which is amazing for going out on rough water all day entertaining but the slalom wake is hard and not ideal for our needs.  Was curious what model might be a good middle ground of more room but still has an acceptable slalom wake?  I was thinking possibly a 21 sunscape lsv?  Also the vtx seems like it would be good in the wake department, but how about the room compared to my 2007 Response LXI?  I would like to be able to be out on rough water and not worry about taking water over the nose!  Thanks for your time:)  Lonnie

Edited by LonnieJ
Correction

VTX.  Without the motor in the middle, plus the added beam, will be much more roomy than your current boat.  It's the boat that will probably best fit your needs.

ahopkins22LSV
27 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

VTX.  Without the motor in the middle, plus the added beam, will be much more roomy than your current boat.  It's the boat that will probably best fit your needs.

100% agree. I just made this switch. Really the only thing I loose from my old response is being able to ski the course. The vtx skis good open water and surfs great actually. Plus the added space is so so much better. It was without question the best move for our family. 

7 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

100% agree. I just made this switch. Really the only thing I loose from my old response is being able to ski the course. The vtx skis good open water and surfs great actually. Plus the added space is so so much better. It was without question the best move for our family. 

Thank you both very much for taking the time to respond!  I live in NE and it seems like Malibus are somewhat hard to find, especially a VTX.  Wish I could sit in a VTX to get a feel for the size and freeboard compared to my Response.  I really like the size of my friends 21VLX and am curious what the slalom wake on either a sunscape 21lsv or 2007ish Sunsetter on a diamond hull would be like??  Thanks again:)  Lonnie

ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, LonnieJ said:

Thank you both very much for taking the time to respond!  I live in NE and it seems like Malibus are somewhat hard to find, especially a VTX.  Wish I could sit in a VTX to get a feel for the size and freeboard compared to my Response.  I really like the size of my friends 21VLX and am curious what the slalom wake on either a sunscape 21lsv or 2007ish Sunsetter on a diamond hull would be like??  Thanks again:)  Lonnie

@UWSkier can probably help answer that. 

If I was to ever move from my sunsetter lxi I’d do a vtx. It’ll be way roomier than your response...not even a close comparison. I’m sure you can find one to sit in if you keep an eye out on the used market or are willing to drive some. There may be some from the ‘crew nearby.

ive skied behind 21vlx and if you are even somewhat of a serious slalom skier you won’t like it.

My '01 Sunsetter VLX was right in the sweet spot you wanted.  We could Slalom and then load it down for other sports.  The hulls have been getting bigger and deeper so the crossover is getting to be more marketing than realistic.  Some of the VTX models are acceptable from all accounts.  All that being said.  Let me ask, why not keep the slalom sled and pick up a second boat that's more family friendly for those days that aren't going to be chasing speed?  It doesn't even need to be a wake boat.  Runabouts and pontoons are very comfortable and good for families as you get the kids through the basics of boating.  You could upgrade to a V-Drive later as the kids grow and your knees and shoulders age. :) 

1 hour ago, braindamage said:

ive skied behind 21vlx and if you are even somewhat of a serious slalom skier you won’t like it.

I agree!  My friends vlx on a wake hull does not have an acceptable slalom wake.  What year is your sunsetter lxi?

1 hour ago, Slurpee said:

Let me ask, why not keep the slalom sled and pick up a second boat that's more family friendly for those days that aren't going to be chasing speed? 

Good question, I also have given that some thought:)  However, we live 40' from the lake we use.  We keep our boat in a storage unit that we purchased there and don't have a cabin or any extra space to store a 2nd boat:(  Thank you for your thoughts:)  Lonnie

I can weigh in on the slalom wakes of the 02-04 Sunscape. Haven't skied anything 21 feet on a newer hull than that.

Surprisingly good slalom wakes. No real spray or trough until you're 35 off. Wake is certainly bigger than your LXi but it's a very soft wake. As with any boat, less weight is better. We keep anchors and the barefoot boom as far forward as possible in ours.  If you've got three people on the back bench the wake is noticeably larger. 

I've also skied an 07 VTX when it first came out and before folks figured out it liked bow weight. Felt little difference in wake feel though it was a bit wider. Interior feel was more spacious than the 21 due to several inches more beam. 

Neither is really a course boat but they can do that from time to time. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, LonnieJ said:

I agree!  My friends vlx on a wake hull does not have an acceptable slalom wake.  What year is your sunsetter lxi?

2000. I love the combination of great ski wake and roomy for family.  I don’t see me moving from it anytime soon and would recommend to anyone!!

Getting ready to put my 127 hour 2007 Response LXI up for sale. Just need to finish cleaning it up and take some pictures:)  Still trying to figure out if there is a huge difference between the interior space on a 2007-2012 vtx compared to a 2008-2012VLX?  Is the VTX slalom wake that much better than a vlx on a diamond hull that I shouldn't even consider the vlx??  Wish I could test drive both before I buy used!

Edited by LonnieJ
Correction

Is your '07 LXI a Silver Edition by chance?  I may be interested... and are you in NE as in, Nebraska or New England? looking forward to your pics, regardless...

I am in Nebraska:)  Not a Silver Edition:(  I think they the dealership called it a tuxedo edition:)  It is black above the rub rail, white on the main part below then black again on the lower portion of the side with a white bottom.  Very well maintained and is in exceptional condition.  Hoping to find a larger boat in similar condition:)  Will let you know when I get some pics!  Lonnie