Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Small prop dings-should I fix?

braindamage

I noticed a couple small dings in my prop. They are on the same blade. I don’t think they are significant enough to fix, but I also know that even small differences can be meaningful. 

I thought I’d ask the ‘crew for a 2nd opinion.

0738C054-B0E7-4D48-979F-7D54179F8D68.jpeg

6908E338-C276-48F5-B6FA-FE11268B0EA1.jpeg

Real World Answer: Sometimes you can feel the vibration from a small ding and sometimes not. It may be noticeable only a certain RPM.  I won’t worry about it unless you notice a vibration. If it bothers you, get another and use this one as a spare. When you get around to bending one, then get it fixed. 

Purist Answer: ding = vibration = wear= more money longer you wait.

• Like 2

IIWM, and I had a spare I would swap it. If I didn’t feel any unusual vibration I would let it go until the off season. It would drive me nuts knowing it was there, but that’s just me.

In the past, I've fixed dings like the one in the first picture by laying that blade on a piece of wood and tapping with a hammer.  You can get it a lot closer to the shape it should be.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, MadMan said:

In the past, I've fixed dings like the one in the first picture by laying that blade on a piece of wood and tapping with a hammer.  You can get it a lot closer to the shape it should be.

I’d probably try this is you have a vibration. Or if you don’t leave it as is and send the prop out of the winter. It would bug me knowing they are there lol. 

I usually fix any dings because I  am paranoid but FWIW when I have had small dings like that vs. More serious damaged props fixed the dinged prop comes back with the dings hammered out and balancing Mark's on the back while the more damaged props come back looking brand new.  The bill has been the same for both. 

Vibration is bad and when I know there is a ding I get hypersensitive about every little noise/vibration so I opt to always drop the $150 for a repair for peace of mind on the water. 

I have a spare, but it’s not as good for skiing as this one. I think I’ll take it off and compare the vibration differences. I’ll then  try to hammer it out and see if that makes a difference or just creates noise in my garage. 🤔

thanks!!

Edited by braindamage

I have fixed much worse with a light hammer. If it does not vibrate I go with it till the prop needs a masters work.  Work it slow and easy use A big hammer for a backing weight and hammering surface.

• Like 1

Doesn't look bad but could depend on the angle something hit it.  If only that little bend a hammer will likely have it in good order.  It is possible that the whole blade may have slightly bent as a result of that small ding which could cause a balance issue.  I would not only check to see if I could feel vibration but also watch the shaft where it goes through the hull for movement both under load getting up on plane and once at cruise speed through higher speeds.  If there was movement in the shaft I would have it checked out by a prop shop.  Some will check balance for free. 

Edited by BSUBU_Kris
  • Like 1