Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 Sunsetter trouble starting

I have a new to me 97 Sunsetter. When I start it at the dock it has a hard time holding the idle in neutral. Once it has been running for a few minutes the idle is fine. I can get it off the dock most of the time by starting and quickly putting it into gear and advancing the throttle but I don't think its and ideal solution. I have searched to forums and haven't found anywhere to start. So has someone else dealt with this and where should I start with troubleshooting?

Check your IAC, could just be dirty and not closing all the way. Not a 100% familiar with the motor, but usually there is a groove inside your throttle body that the butterfly sits in, if it can’t close all the way, to much air is introduced and will cause your idle to jump up or have a rough idle condition.  Some motors it’s a valve that allows air to bypass.  If it’s clean might have to replace the IAC. 

What @tex599 said, but grab a can of carb spray and clean the whole throttle body throat.  Open the throttle (with the engine off) and spray all of the little bypass vents in the throat, especially where the butterfly contacts at idle.  Don't forget to spray both sides of the butterfly and into the idle air cavity off to the side as well.  Don't bother with other troubleshooting until everything is clean.