Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bought my first Malibu

Norm02

Hey everyone,

We bought our first Malibu today and it’s a 2005 V Ride.  We’re very excited about the boat and we’re looking forward to creating new memories with our kids!  I’ve had an I/O Crownline in the past but this is my first inboard boat.

As previously mentioned, the boat is an ‘05 and it was extremely well cared for by its previous owner (garage kept) and recently traded in at a Malibu dealer for another one.  It currently has 509hrs on it and it checked out perfectly in service and performed flawlessly on the hour long test drive today. 

Service is now up up to date with a new impeller, fluids, spark plugs, and trailer maintenance.  Any tips or advice you all have would be greatly appreciated!  

4E8FAC45-5484-4D2B-9AB0-E066BB423D20.jpeg

C1BCF0C8-676B-409A-B260-1CA42F678EDC.jpeg

Edited by Norm02
  • Like 4

Beautiful boat! Welcome to the ‘crew. 

Advice:

- have fun with the family so that everyone wants to go out.

- backing up and steering while not under power is more difficult than an i/o. I suggest practicing a bit and not getting mad if you/wife/kid doesn’t do it perfectly in the early stages. Compliments only in this department.

- if you haven’t yet, get the whole family boater safety certified, or at least those old enough to be certified. Even if you are a long time boater it wouldn’t hurt to get a refresher.

- ask away anything on this forum. It’s a pretty friendly crowd, though snarky at times.

great first post! We like pics 🤙

• Like 1

Because the rudder is under the boat and not behind it like in an i/o, the back of the boat will drift the opposite way that you are steering. If you are turning left, the back will drift right.  If you are turning right, the back will drift left. I see a lot of people hit their back corner pulling away from a dock because they steer away from the dock  and forget the back end drifts the other way.

It's not a big deal and actually you can use it to your advantage.  For example, when pulling up to a dock, if you need the back end to go right, you actually want to steer left.....

Edited by sic0048

Welcome!  Nice boat.  I've got a 2005 LSV that I've done a lot of mods on.  All worked out spectacularly!  This site is a great resource with a few minor warts ;)

I also went from I/O to inboard 3 years ago and echo the above.  It only backs to the right so plan ahead with your docking and lifts.

Some ideas:  Ya don't NEED HCLD tower speakers for surfing, 2005s had a crappy stock Sony system so get rid of it - all of it, Perfect Pass is a must have, save space for ballast and you'll want a new prop if it has a 537 on it.

4 hours ago, MadMan said:

My tip is, load up those kids and go out and enjoy it.

Picking it up in a few hours and we’re taking it out after work today!  

4 hours ago, braindamage said:

Beautiful boat! Welcome to the ‘crew. 

Advice:

- have fun with the family so that everyone wants to go out.

- backing up and steering while not under power is more difficult than an i/o. I suggest practicing a bit and not getting mad if you/wife/kid doesn’t do it perfectly in the early stages. Compliments only in this department.

- if you haven’t yet, get the whole family boater safety certified, or at least those old enough to be certified. Even if you are a long time boater it wouldn’t hurt to get a refresher.

- ask away anything on this forum. It’s a pretty friendly crowd, though snarky at times.

great first post! We like pics 🤙

Thank you and it’ll take some getting used to 

3 hours ago, sic0048 said:

Because the rudder is under the boat and not behind it like in an i/o, the back of the boat will drift the opposite way that you are steering. If you are turning left, the back will drift right.  If you are turning right, the back will drift left. I see a lot of people hit their back corner pulling away from a dock because they steer away from the dock  and forget the back end drifts the other way.

It's not a big deal and actually you can use it to your advantage.  For example, when pulling up to a dock, if you need the back end to go right, you actually want to steer left.....

Going to get lots of practice this weekend! 

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Welcome!  Nice boat.  I've got a 2005 LSV that I've done a lot of mods on.  All worked out spectacularly!  This site is a great resource with a few minor warts ;)

I also went from I/O to inboard 3 years ago and echo the above.  It only backs to the right so plan ahead with your docking and lifts.

Some ideas:  Ya don't NEED HCLD tower speakers for surfing, 2005s had a crappy stock Sony system so get rid of it - all of it, Perfect Pass is a must have, save space for ballast and you'll want a new prop if it has a 537 on it.

Thank you!  Stereo will be upgraded in the near future I’m debating between JL & Wetsounds.  The salesman said that it will be easier to go with Wetsounds do to the way they mount on the tower?

It’s already got Perfect Pass, three hard ballast tanks, and I’m not sure on the prop.  Ran great yesterday and seemed to have plenty of pop out of the hole and good top end power.  Will know more once I get more seat time in it.  That being said, what prop do y’all recommend for that boat?  It will mainly be used to cruise around, yank kids on the tube, and surf behind. 

Edited by Norm02
5 minutes ago, Norm02 said:

Thank you!  Stereo will be upgraded in the near future I’m debating between JL & Wetsounds.  The salesman said that it will be easier to go with Wetsounds do to the way they mount on the tower?

It’s already got Perfect Pass, three hard ballast tanks, and I’m not sure on the prop.  Ran great yesterday and seemed to have plenty of pop out of the hole and good top end power.  Will know more once I get more seat time in it.  That being said, what prop do y’all recommend for that boat?  It will mainly be used to cruise around, yank kids on the tube, and surf behind. 

Don't feel like you have only 2 choices with the sound.  As long as you get marine construction speakers most any good brand will do including the much maligned (not sure why) Rockford Fosgate and many quality automotive amps.  If you're not on salt water you don't need a marine amp.  Salesmen may sell you whatever has the best margin for the store ;)  And think 3 times before you get/decide on tower speakers.  They have their drawbacks and there are alternatives.

For the prop that depends on how you use the boat and how much weight you put in it (extra ballast bags).  Many go to a 14 or 15 inch pitch.  I have a 1235 but there are others.

4 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Ya don't NEED HCLD tower speakers for surfing,

I agree with this, and a mega-sound system doesn't work well with a wife and kids.....

3 hours ago, jcon44 said:

My tip: start saving up for your next upgrade. Joining this site will make you feel like you need a 25LSV!

I think I’ll be ok for a while.  We almost bought a Supra 242 and I’m glad we didn’t.  It would have been too big to get into my driveway so when we do upgrade, it won’t be bigger than 22ft.

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

I agree with this, and a mega-sound system doesn't work well with a wife and kids.....

Probably won’t get too crazy.  Not looking to do anything more than replace the existing speakers, head unit, add an amp, and two tower speakers. 

Ballast - lots of ballast.  Factory ballast is pretty small on those and doesn't have a front tank, so it really needs some weight.  Which will then require a prop upgrade.  

16 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Ballast - lots of ballast.  Factory ballast is pretty small on those and doesn't have a front tank, so it really needs some weight.  Which will then require a prop upgrade.  

Yeah, at some point we made add some to it.  It has a center tank and two hard tanks in the back but still not much compared to the newer boats.

Speaking of props, there was a new X Star at the ramp yesterday and it had a prop the size of a stop sign on it! 

Edited by Norm02
1 hour ago, Norm02 said:

Yeah, at some point we made add some to it.  It has a center tank and two hard tanks in the back but still not much compared to the newer boats.

Speaking of props, there was a new X Star at the ramp yesterday and it had a prop the size of a stop sign on it! 

I have the same hull - you need to add more.  The stock amount is pretty tiny; one of my locker bags is almost as much as your entire ballast setup.  Pull the rear tanks and put in Fly High 1100's (or something equivalent) and an under seat ballast bag in the bow, at a minimum.

That Xstar probably has a 17" prop.  You can fit a 15".

Took it out again yesterday from about 10:30am until 6pm.  Boat never missed a beat and we had a great time.  Very happy with my purchase and I’m looking forward to using it A LOT more this summer!