Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

nutty 247 wake

MARiley

has anyone truly expanded on the current stock 4-tank 247 ballast system? i've seen pics of the wake with an additional 1000# and the power wedge and it looked pretty damned sweet. i guess what i'm really getting at is, has anyone out there thrown 750#s in the lockers and another 1000# up front?

just thinking about that makes me drool......

Edited by madchild

The wake is pretty damn good in stock form. In fact Pistol Pete insists that it is bigger than anyone could actually use Crazy.gif

Even Wakegirl is claiming to swear off her wakeboarding career after riding the killer 247

... of course we all know that its the drugs talking and all part of the documentary she'll do later about her life & 'da Crew.. Whistling.gif

Sounds like you got your knee all better and now you are looking at messing it up again ;)

no, i just replaced my byerly with an 06 rusty 138! Crazy.gif

in all seriousness, i kept putting off going to a doctor and now i'm in texas. however, i have noticed there are a lot of hospitals so i'll probably be able to get checked out and hopefully get a prescription for some braces.

The wake is pretty damn good in stock form. In fact Pistol Pete insists that it is bigger than anyone could actually use Crazy.gif

Even Wakegirl is claiming to swear off her wakeboarding career after riding the killer 247

... of course we all know that its the drugs talking and all part of the documentary she'll do later about her life & 'da Crew.. Whistling.gif

How does that song go...."I don't like the drugs but the drugs like me". :lol: Seriously, I haven't decided yet. But I will say that I can't see why anyone would want to sack out a 247 for boarding. (I know, I know, maybe I don't get it) The wake with the stock ballast & wedge down is huge & clean, one of the best wakes in every way (size, shape) that I've ever been on, bar none. Fiddle with the power wedge & you can make it almost as rampy or as steep as you want, & it still stays clean. I was riding at 75 feet behind stewart's at Oroville & could have used another 5' with that wake. It was amazing, I don't know why you'd want to screw with something that's so nearly perfect. And did I say it was huge & clean?

How does that song go...."I don't like the drugs but the drugs like me". :lol: Seriously, I haven't decided yet. But I will say that I can't see why anyone would want to sack out a 247 for boarding. (I know, I know, maybe I don't get it) The wake with the stock ballast & wedge down is huge & clean, one of the best wakes in every way (size, shape) that I've ever been on, bar none. Fiddle with the power wedge & you can make it almost as rampy or as steep as you want, & it still stays clean. I was riding at 75 feet behind stewart's at Oroville & could have used another 5' with that wake. It was amazing, I don't know why you'd want to screw with something that's so nearly perfect. And did I say it was huge & clean?

I'm having a hard time reading your suttle clues, what did you think of the wake on the 247? Crazy.gif

I think I figured out what I don't like about the 247's wakeboarding wake. (I hope this doesn't get me uninvited next time someone goes out in his) Here we go; with the power wedge half or all the way down the boat throws a pretty good sized rooster tail pretty far behind the boat. The boat's beam is something like 101" (?) so, the hull is super wide and therefore so is the wake. Now, since you want to stay a little bit behind that funky looking rooster tail (at least it plays tricks on my eyes when I'm approaching the wake and trying to jump) you gotta be at least 80' back. Which, is a pretty far back trying to jump a severly wide wake. I think that's my gripe.

Pete, for the wide wake, I had that problem at first too. We ride at 70ft at 22mph, and that seems to be a sweet spot for us. Learn to love the wide wake!! I can go bigger and still go w2w with out taking a beating out in the flats. I noticed on Greg's boat how wide our wake is. I was doing 1/2 cuts into the wake and felt like I was hiting the flats.

In stock form, it's the perfect wake for me, absolutely perfect with the wedge at 3/4, 24mph and a 80' line

We had Kyle Schmidt up for a clinic and added a 650# in the middle and had 16 people. He loved it. I've never seen a larger wake. Also, with the 14.25x14.5 Acme, it would leap out of the hole

Edited by edgeski1
I think I figured out what I don't like about the 247's wakeboarding wake. (I hope this doesn't get me uninvited next time someone goes out in his) Here we go; with the power wedge half or all the way down the boat throws a pretty good sized rooster tail pretty far behind the boat. The boat's beam is something like 101" (?) so, the hull is super wide and therefore so is the wake. Now, since you want to stay a little bit behind that funky looking rooster tail (at least it plays tricks on my eyes when I'm approaching the wake and trying to jump) you gotta be at least 80' back. Which, is a pretty far back trying to jump a severly wide wake. I think that's my gripe.

R U Fing joking me???? Shocking.gif That thing has a sweet wake. I was riding at like 70ft and was having no problem with the rooster. I could go w2w way easyer on Stewarts boat than my own. I mean the wake has a nice ramp that will just pop you up vary high and its not like hitting a wall such as Chris had reffereced. Maybe next time you should put on your big boy pants and just go for it. Crazy.gif Maybe also try riding with out the wedge so the wake is a little smaller Baby.gif

I ride with out the wedge too Pete :blush:

R U Fing joking me???? Shocking.gif That thing has a sweet wake. I was riding at like 70ft and was having no problem with the rooster. I could go w2w way easyer on Stewarts boat than my own. I mean the wake has a nice ramp that will just pop you up vary high and its not like hitting a wall such as Chris had reffereced. Maybe next time you should put on your big boy pants and just go for it. Crazy.gif Maybe also try riding with out the wedge so the wake is a little smaller Baby.gif

I ride with out the wedge too Pete :blush:

Your wake is very much like hitting a wall, massive pop. When I was learning w2w, I rode w/o ballast because the wake was scaring me. Now I can Charge the biggest wakes my boat can throw. I dont like what the wedge does to my wake, puts too much of a lip on it. I love a nice rampy wake. mmmmm.... man I need to get out and ride again.

I actually thought that for the size of the boat, the wake wasn't wide at all. It confused me because I was riding so much farther back than I do behind our VLX, & I was still landing out in the flats. So I started paying attention to how the wake shapes up, where it does, etc. while I was in the boat. From what I could tell, the wake doesn't start to form up until at least 5-7 feet farther back than the VLX (at least, it might be farther than that - it started to form a long way back). Which put the rooster tail back a lot farther back than what Pete & I are used to. The rooster tail never really bothered me, but then again I wasn't really focussed on what was inside of the wake. I'd look in at the wake (especially at first) & try not to freak out at the sheer size of it. After a few jumps, it didn't scare me at all (well, until I broke myself that is).

The thing that makes it so good is that even with as big as it is & as variable as you can make it with the power wedge (steep/rampy), it's completely predictable. No lip at the top to trip you up, big & clean a long long way back, & a transition that goes for miles.

Alright, I'm just gonna stick to Sky Skiing from now on.

Awww cummon Pete.. don't let the HyperNerd get to you.. you know kids these days Tongue.gif

... where is the 'hug' smilie?

I think your local wakeboard limo pilot will still let you ride behind his boat ;)

We all know the wake is too big, it is damaging people right and left. I mean Tracie will never be the same again, and Justin's life is over, now that Jess has had a ride from Stewart.. aparently size does matter