Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 VLX Fuel Pump - fixed! THANK YOU TMC!

Summit can save you a lot of coin if you know what you need, marine wise.  Were you skiing in NJ or NY?  Use to spend a lot of time on Lake H.

electricjohn - boat spends a little time in NY (vac) and NJ (home).  Live on Lake H, so it's a real downer to see a wet boat that doesn't run.  

• 2 months later...

I'm a little confused. You have a 2002 VLX EFI but a Carter pump? I thought the Carter pump was for carburetors? Do you have the Prestolite ignition then? I ask cause I have a fuel issue on my 2000 VLX EFI Multiport. I have delco ignition and pump. However weird fact the engine number according to Bakes is for a carb engine, it even says Carb on the oil pan. I just love how boat engines back then were just thrown together with leftover parts from GM.

Thanks for the Summit racing coupon. Glad you fixed your issue.

Hi MSWSetter00,

I have the Monsoon 325 and definitely had a Carter P60962 (approx 30-45 psi).   I wouldn't expect anything in that high pressure range for carb application.  I saw many Carter pumps available in diff pressure ranges (carb & EFI application), so be sure to verify psi when buying. Also read posts where cheap "aftermarket" pumps had fitting configs "similar" to high pressure pumps, but crew members learned they were low pressure knock-offs and not suitable for EFI - after the purchase.  My replacement pump was also Carter CRT-P61171 as the only current option but fittings were a little different. 

Also saw a couple other posts that were same model year and completely different pumps and other engine bolt-ons. It really is a grab bag of what was available for the engine assembly. Recommend getting your existing part #s, getting original specs (psi) and trying to match as closely as possible. 

Thankfully I didn't need to dig into the ignition so can't say what the core brand/model is.  I have a single coil and some computerize timing module near my V Drive. 

Good luck! Let us know how you make out!

SSSSSSSSSS

This is actually very timely, thank you for posting what you did. Glad to hear you got it all sorted out!  I am not having any issues at the moment, but this was something i was thinking about doing as preventative maintenance.

Just received my new Carter P5000 pump, fuel pressure regulator, and return port plug in the mail this week. I’ll be swapping everything out tomorrow on my ‘01 Escape w/ newly re-powered Monsoon 325. The original pump had a decent whine and quit on me last week. 

My engine has the Delco EST ignition system (distributor w/ posts on top of cap & electronic spark timing module). Also swapping in a new ignition coil.

• 2 weeks later...

This summer I had hard on-the-water motor cutout, that mimicked Fuel pump symptoms. (have almost 900hrs on her).    Long story -shortened, it was NOT Fuel Pump,  but in doing my investigation I became apparent that owners of this vintage (2001-era 325 Monsoon EFI)  were having Fuel Pump failures, and that style Fuel Pump was no longer available, and the factory conversion kits were running out, and people were DIY thru BakersOnline by matching up Carter PSI ratings.

I found a Malibu conversion fuel pump kit, and its now hanging on my workbench awaiting off season maintenance.  According to all the posts, if you have over 800hrs the Fuel Pump is going to fail (sooner rather than later).   I also have a Fuel Pressure gauge, so I can double-check the fuel rail pressure if needed.   At 18+ years (and counting)  my 'BU just-in-case "spare parts" bin is becoming a factor in my kids inheritance  LOL!

Edited by Garry
  • 6 months later...

I just got my new Carter fuel pump CRT-P61171 and had problem finding the Adapter at the local hardware store for the 5/8-18 inlet port so I ended up buying a Russell 640400 -8AN Male to 5/8"-18 Inverted Flare Power Steering Adapter for $7.05 and a RED HORSE PERFORMANCE 2000-08-2 Carburetor Accessories for the hose fitting $7.93. 

For Eagleboy99 or anyone else, i have an unused Carter P61171 Fuel Pump (No adapter or hose fitting) That i had planned to put in my 01 VLX but never needed it and sold the boat. If anyone wants it, let me know. Summit Sells it for 108.99. Id sell it for 50 bucks.

If i remember correctly, that return line can just be plugged. (Or is) and isn't needed. There was some other post around here on it. Never got far enough into it as I  sold the boat but this seems to be what everyone is moving to since the standard fuel pump is no longer available or if you can find it, is super expensive.

You can just plug up the return hole on the mounting bracket and it will still return over pressured fuel back to the gas tank. The old pump would allow a loop back into the pump and they say it would help initially take air out of your system but really not necessary. I think it causes more problems than it solves and probably why this pump design fails. My new pump replacement is working great.