Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing won’t go past 9.5 mph

CJO78

I’ve read many topics on this here and feel like i’ve got everything covered so not sure why I can’t get past 9.5 mph. Have 2315 prop, 2011 LSV with 350. Malibu factory ballast + 650 added in each locker + 750 sack in bow that I fill 75%. Using Nauticurl device. Should I not fill rear sacks all the way? Just confused as others have said they fill much more weight in same boat. Wave gets huge but is short with not enough push.

Wont speak for the LSV, but my '17 VLX loves bow weight as I add more to the rears.  I always run with bow and center full.  If Im running heavy, I put bodies in the bow, and if Im lugging, I drain off enough from the rears to get the wave length I want (usually when I hear a 2-300 RPM drop).    When the boat is trimmed out right, (mine is a 410 with a 2249 prop), it will run 10.8-11mph at about 3800 RPM, and be generating a fantastic wave.

30 minutes ago, CJO78 said:

I’ve read many topics on this here and feel like i’ve got everything covered so not sure why I can’t get past 9.5 mph. Have 2315 prop, 2011 LSV with 350. Malibu factory ballast + 650 added in each locker + 750 sack in bow that I fill 75%. Using Nauticurl device. Should I not fill rear sacks all the way? Just confused as others have said they fill much more weight in same boat. Wave gets huge but is short with not enough push.

How many people are on board and where are they sitting... are you using wedge and if so what position is it in? What altitude are you at...

I run way more weight... but how much I add depends on how many peeps in boat... 

Edited by kerpluxal

With my 350 and the 1235, if I ran with both sides filled with sacks @ 700ish on top of the MLS with little to no bow weight I had a problem getting up to speed as well. I normally run full MLS, 1100 surf side, 750 bow "full" with a suckgate and max wedge @ 3000-3250 rpm max at 11.2 mph with absolutely no problems. I am not sure about the prop but isn't the 2315 even more aggressive than the 1235? If so I would dump some locker weight before I quit using the wedge. JMHO

I’ve been running wedge 2 clicks up from bottom based on what I read here, maybe I need to pull it up more. Usually 4-5 people in the boat, driver, one in bow and 1 in back corner on surf side. Sounds like I need to try bringing wedge up more and not filling 650 sacks all the way.

13 minutes ago, CJO78 said:

I’ve been running wedge 2 clicks up from bottom based on what I read here, maybe I need to pull it up more. Usually 4-5 people in the boat, driver, one in bow and 1 in back corner on surf side. Sounds like I need to try bringing wedge up more and not filling 650 sacks all the way.

Putting the wedge up more (but not all the way) will create more drag.  You either need to put it down more (presumably all the way down), or all the way up so that it is stowed.  I have a 2014 LSV with 409.  If I fill all sacks and put the wedge 2 to 3 clicks up from bottom, I have troubles getting up to or keeping speed.  All the way down - no problem.  As others have said, bow weight makes a difference too.

x4, add more bow weight before draining off the rears (the other clue you do not have enough bow weight is that wave is big...but short), bow weight will lengthen it and should help your speed since you will not be "plowing" quite as hard. You may even want more bow weight than the 750 for best results