Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ronix wakeboards

king_kong

well last week when i got my new wakeboarding mag i noticed on the cover that the wake board read Ronix. well i was curios to know what ronix was so i did a search to find out some stuff. well what i found out was that there a brand new company and are releasing there first boards this fall i believe.

but the real interesting thing i found out was that parks, danny harf, and chad sharp all left hyperlite and went to ronix. and also over the weekend my buddy had herd that Ronix was started by Herb O'brien.

well i'm just curious to know if any one else noes anything about Ronix and what to expect from there boards, i gessing they must be pretty awsome boards to get 3 of the best riders to join there team.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• jshap

• stewart

• obski

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Herb O'Brien and several of the old-time HO Sports guys left HO earlier this year and started Ronix wakeboards and Radar skis. Check Wakeworld for several articles on Ronix. Info on Radar is harder to come by...

Yeah, IMO, it's the 'top riders' breaking away and forming their own company because they are too egotistical.
Wow, talk about a "player hater"... Fingerwag.gif ...the riders are not forming their own company, they left HO/Hyperlite and went with Herb O'Brien. As did a few of the product design gurus. I'm anxious to see the new Radar Skis. :) Though my wife may kill me if I come home with another new skinny stick. Biggrin.gif
Yeah, IMO, it's the 'top riders' breaking away and forming their own company because they are too egotistical.
Wow, talk about a "player r"... Fingerwag.gif ...the riders are not forming their own company, they left HO/Hyperlite and went with Herb O'Brien. As did a few of the product design gurus. I'm anxious to see the new Radar Skis. :) Though my wife may kill me if I come home with another new skinny stick. Biggrin.gif

I was referring to the wakeboarders not the skiers.

My local wakeboard / ski shop is going to be carrying the line when they come out. He mentioned that distribution will be very tight, i.e. they will never be discounted on the internet anywhere, and buying from a local shop will be strongly encouraged. He mentioned something about molded bindings that you won't be able to do at home - they will require the shop to set it up.

.....He mentioned something about molded bindings that you won't be able to do at home - they will require the shop to set it up.

now that sounds interesting! i'm gessing they would be fiberglass and would probly hige tech so u can get in them..... man that sounds frigin awsome!!

• 2 weeks later...

.....He mentioned something about molded bindings that you won't be able to do at home - they will require the shop to set it up.

now that sounds interesting! i'm gessing they would be fiberglass and would probly hige tech so u can get in them..... man that sounds frigin awsome!!

Park Bonifay is on the Ronix TV podcast site on itunes talking about the new company. He said they were part owners in the company. He gave some good backround information. Check it out.

My son went to surf expo in Orlando and rode OWC'boat and Ronix with parks, danny and chad. He ordered one on the spot. He was in the market cause he busted his other doin sbends, on the cable.

My son went to surf expo in Orlando and rode OWC'boat and Ronix with parks, danny and chad. He ordered one on the spot. He was in the market cause he busted his other doin sbends, on the cable.

Tell us what he thinks of the board.

That must have been a fun ride for him.

Here is some info from some sources I have talked to.

The pro riders riding for Ronix signed based on several personal reasons along with the ability to have equity in the company.

They are all new board presses, none of the shapes will be the same as old hyperlite models unless the pro riders design their new Ronix pro model board that way (which I am sure would be a patent issue with Hype).

The bindings do not have hinge tech, they are heat moldable closed toe (mostly, who knows what new models will come out) snowboard style bindings.

They are claiming a large weight reduction in comparison with the competitors products.

D-harf just landed a 1080 on film (second ever to park's filmed 1080 in 1999) on a ronix setup.

They are being very pro-active about supporting local boardshops.

Their boards will probably become the new "parks" setup. Meaning everyone who can ride a wakeboard but has no idea what they are looking for in a board will pick up a Ronix, because its cool, not because it fits their riding style.

Edited by Liquidmx
Their boards will probably become the new "parks" setup. Meaning everyone who can ride a wakeboard but has no idea what they are looking for in a board will pick up a Ronix, because its cool, not because it fits their riding style.

How sad and true. The funny thing is the Parks has never been an easy to learn to ride board. It is a freakin agressive board for a rider that can ride. While it is cool it doesn't help the noobs learn.

I read that their strategy is to make fewer lines of boards. It was in an interview with Herb Obrien. He felt like there were way too many boards and bindings in the HL line. He wants to have fewer choices so that it will be less confusing for the consumer and for the shops. The line will only be available in watersports shops and not in GI Joes or your local Walmart.

I assume then that they will have boards for particular riding styles and skill levels. Looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.

I stopped by AWS today and asked about the Ronix and Radar gear. They said they should be getting them in stock by the middle to end of October. They are very excited about it.

Maybe this has been posted elsewhere, but I haven't seen it. Have they said where their manufacturing will take place (USA or China)? If they keep it in the states, that all by itself would make me take a hard look at buying from them.

Maybe this has been posted elsewhere, but I haven't seen it. Have they said where their manufacturing will take place (USA or China)? If they keep it in the states, that all by itself would make me take a hard look at buying from them.

Sounds like they will be manufacturing all over...here is an excerpt from the interviews on the site....

A: Is it construction, materials, or an entirely new approach?

HO: It’s all three. When we’re just manufacturing things within Redmond we

only used materials and talents within the greater Seattle area. Now we go

to Europe several times a year to get new materials and designs, we work

with factories all over Eastern and Western Europe, and we go over to Asia

to get manufacturing processes that we couldn’t do within the United States.

This new world economy is really the driving force with Square One, we’re

combining resources from all over the globe. It’s allowed us to bring in aspects

from different industries, especially different design manufacturing processes

and materials that have never been used before in watersports. It makes for

better products.

One thing I'm wondering, can you actually demo the binding if they have to be molded to your feet? Maybe I'll get a chance to ride the board, but the bindings sort of sound like they end up custom.

You can't blame guys for going with Herb O'Brian. Whenever a top level executive leaves any corporation, he/she usually brings their entourage with them. This is very common with Hi-Tech companies.

I personally delt with Herb when I had my problems with my State board, and he seemed like a wonderful guy. For him to give me his personal cell phone number, ask me to call him anytime I had problems with his equipment, then recommend that I waited out the 2005 year to get the newer 2006 product due to defects that he was aware of...that is a hell of a guy!

Look at it this way, another great board manufacturer adds cost competition, quality competition and technology competition. As riders, we benefit from all.

Sounds like they will be manufacturing all over...here is an excerpt from the interviews on the site....

A: Is it construction, materials, or an entirely new approach?

HO: It’s all three. When we’re just manufacturing things within Redmond we

only used materials and talents within the greater Seattle area. Now we go

to Europe several times a year to get new materials and designs, we work

with factories all over Eastern and Western Europe, and we go over to Asia

to get manufacturing processes that we couldn’t do within the United States.

This new world economy is really the driving force with Square One, we’re

combining resources from all over the globe. It’s allowed us to bring in aspects

from different industries, especially different design manufacturing processes

and materials that have never been used before in watersports. It makes for

better products.

One thing I'm wondering, can you actually demo the binding if they have to be molded to your feet? Maybe I'll get a chance to ride the board, but the bindings sort of sound like they end up custom.

Interesting, but it sounds like spin to me. ICBW of course.

You can't blame guys for going with Herb O'Brian. Whenever a top level executive leaves any corporation, he/she usually brings their entourage with them. This is very common with Hi-Tech companies.

I personally delt with Herb when I had my problems with my State board, and he seemed like a wonderful guy. For him to give me his personal cell phone number, ask me to call him anytime I had problems with his equipment, then recommend that I waited out the 2005 year to get the newer 2006 product due to defects that he was aware of...that is a hell of a guy!

Look at it this way, another great board manufacturer adds cost competition, quality competition and technology competition. As riders, we benefit from all.

I have no doubt that this company will be at the top in a very short time, even if all you go off of is O'Brien's track record. I also agree on the competition comments, although looking at Hyperlite's '07 lineup I'm not sure that they won't fall off of the radar quickly if they don't continue to innovate & change (which they haven't this year). Ronix may simply take Hyperlite's place in that vacuum. I also agree on the binding comments - if you can't effectively demo something like that, it's hard to justify shelling out that much dough regardless of the kind of guarantee that is behind the product.

I read that their strategy is to make fewer lines of boards. It was in an interview with Herb Obrien. He felt like there were way too many boards and bindings in the HL line. He wants to have fewer choices so that it will be less confusing for the consumer and for the shops. The line will only be available in watersports shops and not in GI Joes or your local Walmart.

I assume then that they will have boards for particular riding styles and skill levels. Looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.

That always was a little confusing.....

It always sounds easy to just make a few lines...

but then they start to realize that since it costs them the same $$ to make each board, segmentation is the key to profitability.