Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim Platform

96Response

Looking for some suggestions or thoughts. I have the Teak swim platform right now on my 1996 Response. My dilemma is my wife has a couple pretty bad knees and I'm looking for some way to pad the platform. I added a ladder to help her but she still has to kneel on the platform to get in. I need to come up with something, I finally got her to want to be on the Malibu more than our Pontoon. LOL. I have some thoughts but figured more brains the better. Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance. 

If you don't want to permanently glue something, try using one of the foam knee pads sold at garden supply shops. I now have one in each exam room as I spend half my day kneeling on the floor with my larger doggy patients. I went from miserable knees at the end of the day to zero pain.

we have those put its hard to try and keep them where they need to be. was looking for something more permanent. 

Get a piece of 1/4" starboard or the like. Cut to the size of the teak and secure that to your deck and then put some gator deck or similar on the starboard. 

• Like 2

I've put GatorGrip &/or Hydroturf on dozens of swimsteps over the years. It's padded, but not a lot, only maybe 1/8". But maybe you could add some closed cell foam under it too. It doesn't stick to teak well, so you will need to do something similar to what Falko suggests.... I've used fiberboard, which is a fiberglass reinforced plastic sheet used for bathrooms & wet environments, sold at Home Depot.

Or I've bedlinered the entire swimstep with no texture.... turns out smooth, almost rubbery finish, and almost zero maintenance.

1 hour ago, Falko said:

Get a piece of 1/4" starboard or the like. Cut to the size of the teak and secure that to your deck and then put some gator deck or similar on the starboard. 

or cut it short an inch or 2 so that it doesn't look like you tried to hind something.  Cover it with hydroturf (my local marine store sells it in 3x5' sheets for $80) and secure it with stainless screws and finish washers.  That might look really nice and different.

@96 Response:  How handy are you?  I would consider making (or finding, try Great Lakes Skipper) a fiberglass platform to then glue some padding on thus keeping your teak one totally intact.

Suggestion #2:  Check out the Cobalt fold down platform, it is comprised of a flip step that submerges in the water to aid in getting up on the platform.  It is designed exactly for the condition you note.  I would think you could make something like that fairly easily, the hinge mechanism would be the more challenging aspect.  It actually would replace a ladder.