Sign in to follow this  
Arick

Swim Deck GatorStep/Seadeck Alternative?

Arick

I got a quote for my swim deck from both companies and they are almost $400 for simple patterns and or DIY kits.  Being somewhat of a cheap a** that I am, I want to see some other cheaper options I may have. What alternatives do I have that are in the $100-$200 range?

oldjeep

Sheets of hydroturf are pretty cheap - look on amazon

riot138

Seadek sells complete sheets that you could trim yourself.  They are $150 but I have seen them go on sale for 50% off.  They weren't super clear in their promotion for 50% off that the platforms weren't included so I complained and they gave me 30% off. If you can wait for the sale that 30% would bring you under $200 for the made to fit or $75 for the diy. 

Woodski

@Arick:  Hydroturf as noted, go direct to site and look in the closeout section.  You can be in the 2 digit range, $40-$60 a sheet:)  I used 3M 90 to apply.

Edited by Woodski

nosnarb

Melors....the fauxseadek from China.  http://www.marinedeckfactory.com/  some lead included.

bonds so tight that you can invert your boat in the water for 24hrs and it still holds.

Edited by nosnarb
cheeky

Arick
36 minutes ago, nosnarb said:

Melors....the fauxseadek from China.  http://www.marinedeckfactory.com/  some lead included.

bonds so tight that you can invert your boat in the water for 24hrs and it still holds.

I'll pass on the lead!  Unless of course I'm missing the sarcasm 

nosnarb

@Arick....the lead was sarcasm, steeping the fauxseadek in water for 24hrs was not.

braindamage
On 6/6/2018 at 2:02 PM, nosnarb said:

I’ve read conflicting reviews...more that say the Melors will pull up from the deck than those that say it stays put like you describe. It may be due to installation practice. Any cues on how to ensure it stays bonded?

nosnarb

@braindamage I had a couple of places where I did not get a good bond on the Melors.  I used a loctite branded spray contact cement in those locations and that solved it.

I also used MEK and scrubbed my floor clean before applying kiwigrip.  After that cured I used MEK again to make sure that the surfaces were dust and oil free.  Prep goes a long ways.  If you use MEK be sure to do it in a well ventilated area!  Don't stick your head down into a locker or under the helm while using that stuff!!

Edited by nosnarb