Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat will sink unless fixed, found a leak :-/

Does anyone have any idea what part I need to order to fix this issue? I put it in the water this year and went to a party down the lake. After getting back to the dock I noticed the bilge pump kept running more frequently than it should. So my friend and I did some exploring and identified this nasty leak. Does anyone have any suggestions on what part I need or could order to fix this issue?

1999 Malibu response LX

IMG_1185.JPG

Ugg, it looks like your HDS box was full of water and froze, cracking the lid.    Take all those screws out and remove the cover, make sure no damage was done to the rest of the box.  If the box is OK then you can just make a new cover, reseal it and go on your way.

You will have to make a new lid, go to any plastics supplier and you should be able to get a scrap sheet of ABS.  I have always used Butyl Tape with great success around the perimeter where the bolts are:  https://www.westmarine.com/buy/incom--butyl-caulking-tape--P015730286

Also surprised to see your floorboard is plywood, mine is aluminum honeycomb.

Edited by solorex
59 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Ugg, it looks like your HDS box was full of water and froze, cracking the lid.    Take all those screws out and remove the cover, make sure no damage was done to the rest of the box.  If the box is OK then you can just make a new cover, reseal it and go on your way.

Ya, I was hoping there was a panel I could order to solve this issue, I will see what I can do about getting another piece of plastic and glue and screw it back on. As for why the rear piece is made of plywood, check out this 

• 2 months later...

^nice work.  Like I said above the butyl tape is even better than caulking in the sense that if you want to access the box again it comes off and goes on a lot easier.  But sounds like caulking is just fine.