Spatznick

Packing box nut problem?

Spatznick

I just removed all three pieces of wax rope to reinstall new pieces on my 05 sunsetter lxi. After packing by each section in the nut individually, I had trouble getting the nut to thread back on.  I finally was able to pack the last piece in enough to get the nut threaded on, but can barely get it to make a full revolution.  I haven put it in the water yet, but I’m not sure I have enough engagement of threads.  Should I take one piece back out and thread the nut further on, or will it soften up and smoosh a bit more when it soaks and then warms up? 

yotaisgame

It'll be fine. Bring a wrench with you and adjust it in the water. Needs to drip so many times per so many seconds. Been years since I've had to do it. Might have to adjust it multiple times. I'm thinking that's what I had to do. When I did mine I used some kind of synthetic rope that's suppose to last longer. 

Ndawg12

hopefully you used Gore GFO packing instead of the flax sold at walmart.  Stuffing 3 rounds in that nut was a bear for me as well.  I took it 1 piece at a time and marked on the nut where my seam was so that I kept them staggered.  I took a 2" piece of 1" pvc  and ripped it just passed 180 degrees so that it clipped to the shaft.  I used that to push the rope into the nut 1 section at a time, staggering the seams.  I remember it still being a bear to get threaded.  I adjusted once on the lake and haven't touched it in 3 years, I bet it drips less than 6 per minute and the nut stays cool to the touch.