Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Sunsetter pocket beside seat

97sunsetterlx

My wife and I just bought a 1997 Sunsetter LX. I have searched all over the internet and this forum for an answer but can’t find it. There is a small round opening in the upholstered panel below the throttle control, directly to your right when sitting in the drivers seat. Behind this opening there is a vinyl pocket sewed to the back of it that drops to a point. It is sealed because water will collect in it. I am at work but can take some pictures at home tonight. Does anybody who has owned one have any idea what this was designed for? It seems like a perfect spot to hold your phone but I need to cut a hole in the bottom for water to drain haha! I just wanted to know what it was before I cut a hole. Thanks in advance! 

Funny, I use that to "hide" the key when I have to trailer the boat to work (after a quick morning ski).  I mostly hide it to keep a prankster from stealing the key, not because they might steal the boat.

So just yesterday we went for a morning ski, and my buddy was in the driver's seat waiting for me to back him into the water.  He turned the blower on and started looking for the key, since it wasn't in the switch.  I told him, "it's in the d!ck pocket, just out of sight."  He said, "huh?"  I told him to "look around, it's the only pocket that is that shape, and I can't figure out what it is for, so that must be what it is."

DISCLAIMER:  I have never used it to store that, but I can imagine that Chee (newbies can search for him on this site) dreamed it up just before he left the upholstery department at Malibu....

I always assumed it was for sunglasses and used it for that.  Funny, I never even questioned whether it was for anything else. 

Haven’t been on here lately, these are all good ideas though! I just thought it was odd that it was sewn into a point instead of being a normal square pocket. 

Justgary - it is shaped just like that!! 

Works great for keeping my phone in for me, makes it easy to control what’s on the radio right at the drivers seat. 

I’m surprised that Malibu didn’t have a specific stated opinion on its intended use, with its unique shape