Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter trailer question

97sunsetterlx

Hello, I am new to the forum but have been searching past posts for the two weeks to answer questions, and have found a ton of good resources here. My wife and I just bought a Malibu Sunsetter. The previous owner kept the boat in the lake and store the trailer in the ceiling of a large building with a hoist. In order for it to fit he had to cut the tongue off at the front weld and had bolts in there to hold the tongue on when needed. He also slide the adjustable bow stop, that has the winch mounted to it, to a different spot. He told me he had it in the right spot but to me it looks like the boat is sitting too far back on the trailer. This is the original single axle trailer for the boat. Does anybody else on here have one they could measure for me? Thanks in advance!

Just take a picture of it.  But typically the back of the hull will be sitting on the back of the bunk and the rudder will be sitting over the end of the prop cage

• Like 3

Okay thank you. That’s how it is now, I felt like the rudder should be a few inches inside the prop cage, at least that’s how it is on my old Supra (it could be wrong though). Right now the rudder sticks out of the prop cage a few inches, I felt like it would be safer inside the cage and also the transom straps would be easier to hook up with the hull flush with the bunks. I didn’t want a bunk to not fit right, me not see it and then damage something if I moved it though. I will take a picture when I get home this evening. Thanks! 

Is it the correct trailer for the boat?  V-drives and direct drives are different.  The CG of a v-drive boat is further back, so the axle(s) is mounted further back on the trailer.

Moving the boat on the trailer will significantly change the tongue weight.

Yes I am 98% sure it is the correct trailer, I purchased the bot from the original owner, back when I bought I looked into trailers and it seemed that my trailer manufacturer made them for Malibu. Extreme trailers or something like that? Again I am not near it. I know that moving it will change the tongue weight, I feel like it needs a little more tongue weight because it doesn’t lower the back end of my Tahoe (with rear air shocks that need to be replaced) much at all. I just wanted an idea from someone else.