Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V Drive Leak 05 Sunscape

When checking my oil levels, I noticed some oil in my bilge. There has always been a little and when they replaced the flex plate the dealer said they tightened a loose tranny line.   There seemed to be more oil than normal and my v drive was a little low on oil. After looking at the unit and from research here, I was thinking that the sump was leaking as it was very oily. I was able to get a wrench on the four bolts and tightened them further. One of the nuts Turned a half turn and the other 3 turned a quarter turn.  

I put down some white paper towels and checked the following day.  It appears that the unit is leaking at one of the hoses on the front of the unit 

Oil leak

The circle spot is where the leak looks like it is coming from:

Walter v drive

It is tough to get to because the fuel tank is right on top of it, but I think I can get a tool on the fitting to tighten.  Do these fittings leak after time or is it more likely the hose is failing? If it were you, would you just replace the hose and fittings? Do it now or wait until the end of the season? Any recommendations where to get parts?  Much appreciated!

Try:

THE  WALTER  MACHINE  COMPANY,   INC.

84  -   98  CAMBRIDGE  AVENUE

JERSEY CITY,  NJ    07307      USA

TEL:  201-656-5654         FAX:  201-656-0318

Email:    [email protected]

Make sure you have the serial number from the plate when you call them.

Looks like the brass head of the sump pick up line on that elbow could use some tightening. A flare nut wrench should do the trick. If it is too long I would go buy some cheapy $1.00 wrench in the correct size and cut it to the length that will work. The fittings are all brass so don’t go crazy on it. I doubt you will need to replace the line unless Walter cross threaded the head onto the hose, which is unlikely.

If it is still leaking from a different spot after you tighten the fitting i would bet money on a bad pan gasket and a poor casting. I dealt with that issue for a while. Easy fix.