Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat!

asp13

Beautiful boat!! 

I'm of no use on what to keep on the boat.  I'm spoiled....course is right in front of the house and that's about all the boat gets used for.  However, I'd suggest a search on here for what to keep on the boat.  There are some very good suggestions.  

Enjoy your new SSLXI!! 

I always bring a small toolbox (just in case) and - luckily - have never had to use it.  I also bring a scuba mask and keep it in my boat.  The scuba mask will allow you do quick underwater inspections if something goes wrong (tow line stuck in prop).  The other usual stuff I carry are napkins in a ziplock bag, nitrile gloves, 12V USB adapter, vinyl and glass cleaners, roll of paper towels, spare transom drain plug, telescoping boat hook, and most important, a good bottle opener!

One tip:  At the end of the day, I always put my transom drain plug in a bag and then velcro it to my boat steering wheel.  During my next boating launch, if the drain plug is still on my steering wheel, you are going to have problems.

Welcome to the ‘crew!! She’s a beaut!!

onboard: Small toolbox with screwdriver and multiple bits, small crescent wrench, needle nose pliers, and an assortment of Allen wrenches. Get a leatherman with a good knife blade. Buy a spare prop and puller now before you are in a bind. 

Absorber for wiping down after use The Absorber 34900 X-Large Chamois, Single, Color May Vary https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HXMG74/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aqCfBbEHQEYS0

Get a 3/8” line about 20’ long and tie a loop on each end for easy tie-ups and launching.  Some bumpers. There is a babz group buy going on now that you might get in on.

A good anchor, danik hook, Slide Anchor Danik-Hook Stainless Steel, Easy to Use, Knotless Anchor System with Quick Release (Rope Not Included), Holds 8000 lb. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009M8SHCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vyCfBbE355MWP

power cords for smartphones, and enough cheap orange life vests so that you never have to keep track of how many you have. Leave a few towels in board.

if trailering I suggest putting together a “boat bag” with sunscreen, drink koozies, towels, kid toys, whatever.

+1 on paper towels, scuba mask.

PP is a MUST. It isn’t nicknamed “marriage saver” for nothing!!

you will love this boat!! Congratulations!!

I do my own maintenance so any basic hand tool I regularly use on the boat at all stays on the boat.  This keeps me from having to climb in an out as often when working in the driveway.  It also means I should have anything I need for a quick fix on the water.  

I have a small soft tool bag from lowes with:

Ratchet/ sockets

combo wrench set

adjustable wrench large enough for prop nut

screwdrivers

nut driver for hose clamps ( I forget the size)

ky jelly (for installing and removing impellers and stubborn hoses)

pry bar for tensioning belt

wire cutters

letherman

flashlight

small funnel

a few spare hose clamps and zip ties

a couple shop rags

a lighter 

Hex wrench set

spare impeller

I'm sure there's a few things I'm forgetting but that's about it.  I also have a first aid kit and on long trips I have my spare prop bag in the truck.  I also have another little bag in the boat w/ a spare quart of engine oil, v drive oil and tranny fluid, as well as wipe down spray and vinyl cleaner.  We regularly visit larger lakes far from home so I try and be as self sufficient as possible.  Be sure and search the old threads.  I learned a few things last time one came up.  I also keep a small jump box in my boat and have used it to jump start other boats but luckily never my own. 

Lots of good suggestions.  We had a 2001 Sunsetter LXI nice choice!  Loved that boat.   

Also suggest for your 1st trip out to check the drive shaft packing gland.  You will need a large crescent wrench for making adjustments.   Or buy a combo set in 1-7/8" + 2-1/4" Shaft Packing Wrench Combo Pack on Amazon.  

Also I always carried a spare raw water pump impeller (put the new one in and keep the old for a spare) and fan belt too.  

Assume you also know to have a fire extinguisher,  bailing device (bucket or similar device), paddle, throw cushion and life jackets.  At least in the states you need these to be legal in case pulled over for an safety inspection.  

Welcome to the Crew!   She looks real nice and clean.  

ahopkins22LSV

Boat looks great and such a gem too. As far as what I keep in the boat besides all of the required safety gear, I have a first aid kit, a small tool kit that I bought from harbor freight, pipe thread tape, electrical tape, adjustable cease to wrench, and a spare impeller. 

Thanks for all the info crew! I have been around boats my whole life but never owned one so I am excited to start the journey! I have a spare impeller and the tools to replace it on board already and I will keep some other tools onboard as well. 

I kept 2-3 sections of wire with some aligator clips in addition to the items that others have listed.  Came in handy when trying to isolate an electrical problem / hotwire the boat etc.

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, cWonka said:

That’s my OH S! Toolbox in my truck. I have a slightly smaller one on the boat but we are on an inland lake so it’s not really that important to have a ton of tools. I would definitely bring more for a house boat trip or camping trip. 

• 6 months later...

ASP13--Awesome looking new boat!    I bought my SLXI new in 2001 and have used it a ton every year since.  Sadly more wakesurfing now than skiing, but......       :-)

Some thoughts:

See the Malibu forum for the following parts ideas discussion ----    

I put a third set of pop up cleats near where the drivers shoulder is.  Very helpful and I use them all the time!!

I put a small window/porthole under the middle back seat.  That allows me to directly see the lower half of my gas tank.  My gas gauge (and I think all boats) is not something I rely on.  (see pic with tape measure)

I added a stainless steel double cup holder to the ski pylon---I love it as the drivers seat is lacking in beverage assists.    I can't recall where I got mine, but here is a sample of a good one.  https://goo.gl/OI3TtI

I absolutely love the "Swell" wakesurf attachment--On sale now for $199.  (I have nothing to do with them, I just think it is a great price for a very impactful product).  

I really love the custom snap on bow and back travel cover.  Great for towing, simple to use and store.    The cold weather full bimini helped extend the season...   (cover pics are pre-tower).  

Cruise Control is a must.  It really helps "guests" drive the boat.   Helps a ton in rough water (I set about 17mph and bust through the chop).   Also great for holding a specific surfing speed (such as a constant 9.7mph).  And of course it is great for skiing.   

Happy Skiing!!!

2008-09-14-16-18-36 9.jpg

image_url-11183-1449947291.jpg

image_url-11183-1449947077.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Edited by mayfike
4 hours ago, mayfike said:

ASP13--Awesome looking new boat!    I bought my SLXI new in 2001 and have used it a ton every year since.  Sadly more wakesurfing now than skiing, but......       :-)

Some thoughts:

Search the Malibu forum for the following parts ideas discussion ----      mayfike   2000 SLXI Sunsetter LXI Parts and Tools List for 5.7L 325hp 350ci Monsoon.

I put a third set of pop up cleats near where the drivers shoulder is.  Very helpful and I use them all the time!!

I put a small window/porthole under the middle back seat.  That allows me to directly see the lower half of my gas tank.  My gas gauge (and I think all boats) is not something I rely on.  (see pic with tape measure)

I added a stainless steel double cup holder to the ski pylon---I love it as the drivers seat is lacking in beverage assists.    I can't recall where I got mine, but here is a sample of a good one.  https://goo.gl/OI3TtI

I absolutely love the "Swell" wakesurf attachment--On sale now for $199.  (I have nothing to do with them, I just think it is a great price for a very impactful product).  

I really love the custom snap on bow and back travel cover.  Great for towing, simple to use and store.    The cold weather full bimini helped extend the season...   (cover pics are pre-tower).  

Cruise Control is a must.  It really helps "guests" drive the boat.   Helps a ton in rough water (I set about 17mph and bust through the chop).   Also great for holding a specific surfing speed (such as a constant 9.7mph).  And of course it is great for skiing.   

Happy Skiing!!!

2008-09-14-16-18-36 9.jpg

image_url-11183-1449947291.jpg

image_url-11183-1449947077.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

I like the clear round window, I guess you can get a visual on the fuel level with it?

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I've seen those mostly full canvas enclosed biminis on a few boats out west.  Any custom canvas place can do them.

They are also common in the great lakes, I had one on my Four Winns 18' I/O.  The top was a little lower, and it also had a rear panel that zipped in so you could be totally enclosed with a zip out window in the back panel.  We would occasionally go out in a down pour when the rest of the lake was off the water and just put around, eating lunch or sipping beers, it was really cool.  Since he already has the snaps it would be an easy thing to add.