Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Amp For WS696

05hammerhead

I ran one setup at 100W and the other at 155W.  As theyre only 150W speakers I didnt want to mess with trying to bridge them and end up frying them.  Not optimal, but it did the job with the parts I had. 

23 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

As theyre only 150W speakers

This is an RMS, or continuous, wattage suggestion, peak, or thermal, power handling is 300W. 200 from 2 brigged chnls is just getting them warmed up. Iv run that amp in 4 chnl mode with 6.5" bow speakers bridged. Those 6x9 HLCDs will handle it. Besides, you would be gaining them down to match the lower match the other pair st 155W. Just note, theres more to it then just moving a speaker wire or two.  

1 hour ago, MLA said:

This is an RMS, or continuous, wattage suggestion, peak, or thermal, power handling is 300W. 200 from 2 brigged chnls is just getting them warmed up. Iv run that amp in 4 chnl mode with 6.5" bow speakers bridged. Those 6x9 HLCDs will handle it. Besides, you would be gaining them down to match the lower match the other pair st 155W. Just note, theres more to it then just moving a speaker wire or two.  

Isnt the amp RMS as well?  Im definitely not a solid audio guy, but dont you just want to line up RMSs?  I get the desire to gain down for heat etc.  I should also note that Syn6 is 125 on channels 1-4 and 150 on channel 5-6.

Also, what is the point of matching gains?  Wouldnt you want to give each speaker all it could handle?  I understand the point of balance in most audio, but when you have 4 speakers side by side blasting at a rider 70'+ away, does it really matter?

2 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

I should also note that Syn6 is 125 on channels 1-4 and 150 on channel 5-6.

Not the Syn-6. Its RMS @ 4 ohm is 60W on chls 1-4. 5 & 6 is 155W rms @ 4 ohm. 

5 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

but dont you just want to line up RMSs? 

Matching an amp's RMS output to a driver's rms is a tool, not an absolute. Rarely is it a bad thing to pair a speaker to an amp that has more wattage potential then the speaker's RMS. 

Oh yeah, thats a whole different animal from the retired Syn-6, with a ton of untapped potential. Interesting how you ended up with a 6 chnl amp like it, for just two pair of tower speakers, v's going with a 2chnl that would deliver more wattage at a lower cost. (retail to retail). 

If it where me, id run each pair in parallel wired to chnls 5 & 6. Thats 150W to each speaker. 

This leaves chnls 1-4 open for 2-3 pair of in-boats. 

I received by Rev696s, but boat is in storage.  I am planning to use my HT-4 bridged to send 300W to each speaker, so I will gain it down....but how much?  200?  250?  What will makes these guys sing without frying them?

19 minutes ago, MLA said:

If you are setting and measuring with test equipment, id want to be at least 250W+. 

I also have my towers on a zone control, so I can blast the rider without paralyzing the passengers.  

Edited by goodmatt78