Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Amp For WS696

05hammerhead

I finally got my WS696s installed and they sound great, but of course they are clipping out at 1/2 volume.  Currently, they're powered by the original "600W" Sony explode amp.  Im guessing that really means were running in the ~60W RMS range and Im guessing those 696s want more like 150 each.  Any ideas on a decent amp that wont break the bank to power those big tower speakers?  What size speaker wire do I need to handle the increased power?

3 hours ago, MLA said:

Presuming the amp is setup correct, and fed with proper cabling and the signal is solid, the HTX4 is my choice and 12ga

100W RMS?  Is that enough?

Wet Sounds HTX2 cost 449.99

which is the same amp that axis uses in the sound pack 2 that they use to power the 4 icon 8's and since the wet sounds 696's and the wet sounds icon 8's have the same wattage this would be the perfect amp.

22 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

I have 2 pair.  I should have noted that.  Do I need to spend $600 on an amp?

No, it just comes down to balancing price, quality and output. There are cheaper amps and more expensive amps and there are amps with less power and those offering more. The Syn-DX2 falls in the middle. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, MLA said:

No, it just comes down to balancing price, quality and output. There are cheaper amps and more expensive amps and there are amps with less power and those offering more. The Syn-DX2 falls in the middle. 

I just didnt know if other brands were cheaper.

A Rockford Punch 500x2 would be a really good, moderately priced option.  It will give you 250 x 2 @2 ohms (125 rms to each speaker).  I have been running 2 of them in my boat for years(one powering 4 tower speakers, and one for my sub).  On sale right now at Crutchfield for $300.

BTW, I'd love to hear them sometime.  I may have to flag you down on Waconia.:rockon:

Edited by Brodie
On 6/5/2018 at 9:17 AM, 05hammerhead said:

I just didnt know if other brands were cheaper.

Theres less expensive brands and its always going to be a trade-off. You either give up wattage or you give up build quality. Personally, id rather give up wattage.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brodie said:

A Rockford Punch 500x2 would be a really good, moderately priced option.  It will give you 250 x 2 @2 ohms (125 rms to each speaker).  I have been running 2 of them in my boat for years.  On sale right now at Crutchfield for $300.

BTW, I'd love to hear them sometime.  I may have to flag you down on Waconia.:rockon:

Not bad, but for 4 speakers, Id be cheaper going the wetsounds route. 

12 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

How so? Its a 2 chnl amp thats 2 ohm stable like the HTX2 and Syn-DX2. One can certainly drive 2 pair of 4 ohm speakers. 

34 minutes ago, MLA said:

How so? Its a 2 chnl amp thats 2 ohm stable like the HTX2 and Syn-DX2. One can certainly drive 2 pair of 4 ohm speakers. 

But wouldnt I buy the HTX4 or Syn-DX4?  Otherwise Id be splitting the power, right?

Edited by 05hammerhead

It it true that 2 speakers wired to a single chnl, will divide the available output. However, with 4 4 ohm speakers and a 4 chnl amp, the output will be the 4 ohm x 4 spec to each speaker. In the case of the HTX4 or SynDX-4, that would be about 100W to each. When you wire two 4 ohm speakers together in parallel, the amp chnl will deliver its 2 ohm output. In the case of the R/F p500.2 it would be 250x2 or 125 for each speaker. In the case of the other two amps, it would 300 x 2 or 150 to each and 375 x 2, or 187 to each speaker. 

Thsi is were is pays to start working with whom ever you are purchasing through, They can help with these sort of details to insure you are making a good pairing.  

2 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

Like MLA said, you would run 4 speakers wired in parallel, so the amp would see a 2 ohm load, increasing it's output.  The Wetsounds amps are obviously more powerful options, and great amps but also cost more.  Will you notice a difference between 125 & 150 watts?  Doubtful.  125 vs 187, a little.  All are good options, it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Also, for tower speakers, there is no benefit to running a 4 channel amp vs 2, when all you need is a Left and a right channel(2 speakers on each).  You get much more bang for your buck at 2 ohms. 

Edit for clarity:  You can not bridge a 4 channel amp, and run it at 2 ohms.  You can do one or the other, but not both.  So, for the OP's purposes, he can either go with a 4 channel amp and run each speaker on it's own channel(4 ohms), or use a 2 channel amp and run 2 speakers on each channel for a 2 ohm load (much more efficient and cheaper).

Edited by Brodie

Im sorry, I totally read it wrong when I was looking at the R/F amp specs.  For some reason I thought the R/F amp was like my current "600W" amp that really only outputs 75w/channel @2 ohm.  So when I read it I thought it said 125w @2ohm.  Im definitely following now.

FYI, here is a used SynDX-2 from a TMC member.  If it's the Syn-Dx2( and not the Syn-Dx2.3HP), it's 375x2 at 2 ohms, not 1200 total as stated.

Edited by Brodie

Upon further consideration, I'm not sure that I would want the DSP version of that Syn DX2 amp as I referenced above due to the fact that it requires a laptop to tune it.  Guess I'm old school that way.  

Edited by Brodie
  • 5 months later...

Reviving this thread....I just bought a single pair of REV696's on black friday.  I am currently planning on running these off my current HT-4 bridged.  This is 300W rms each which is double the recommended 150 RMS.  What power did you end up sending to each speaker and are you happy?   I can always gain down my amp to around 200W if 300W will damage the speakers.   I know WS under rates their speakers power wise, but I obviously want to avoid damage.

There are a couple ways he could do that setup. Wire the amp to 4 chn mode. 1 pair bridged on chnls 1/2 & 3/4 for up to 200W each and then 2nd pair on chnls 3 & 4 for 155W to each. Gain match chnls 1/2 & 3/4 to 5 & 6. Or wire both pair in parallel to chnls 5 & 6 for about 150W to each, leaving chnls 1-4 for something else.