Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Low oil pressure warning 2016

Just went out today and got my first alarm for low pressure warning on oil... I checked some previous pictures when we are cruising and it seems to be about 5 to 6 PSI lower than normal what should I look for? Everything was fine last night... 

I did have the oil changed about 4 hours and 5 hours of use ago.. 2 wks ago

Edited by The Hulk
11 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Obvious question - did you check oil level? 

Yes all seems good and clean..

I have never really watched it till now.. just reference some old pics where I was in the 70-77psi range cruising around 20-24mph

Seems I am averaging a few psi lower, and when I get it up to cruise it slowly drops down to around 69 after a few mins Omar cruise.. is that normal? Any knowledge of what psi should be ? Not sure where low psi alarms kick in at various rpms/loads.

Coming back from Sandbar 3 mile cruise it didn't alarm me at all and was after a restart.. wondering if I'm ok to surf tonight?  

Edited by The Hulk

FYI not sure if this matters, dealer who did engine change was nautique dealer and I was in rush when finished at tech said he didn't have time to figure out how to mark the oil change/service off in the computer so I told him I'll figure it out.. haven't done that.

The required service alarm came up and I hit X and then the low oil alarm came on.. I checked gauge seemed normal range so exited it.. when we got to Sandbar and engine was off the alarm still came on 2 more times with engine off.. 

ahopkins22LSV

I’m not sure it would be tied to checking off the maintenance required button in the screen, but to get to that it’s in setting under service in the 7” screen. 

What oil did the nautique dealer use?

34 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I’m not sure it would be tied to checking off the maintenance required button in the screen, but to get to that it’s in setting under service in the 7” screen. 

What oil did the nautique dealer use?

Not sure I would assume whatever it requires they do the moombas which he said are near same.. 

I believe the big block engines use different oil viscosity than the small block.  I have a 5.7L and it uses 15W40.  I believe some of the larger engines might just use a 40W oil.  I would confirm with the dealer what oil they used and make sure it is the right weight and meets the other specs for your specific engine.  

On my boat the oil pressure has to be really low to set off the alarm.  I must have a different engine because the oil pressure on mine is around 50 - 60 PSI at cruise speeds.  It will go down to 20 something for a moment when getting up on plane.  I have always changed my oil after 30-40 hours because it is super easy to do myself and really inexpensive for a filter and 5 or 6 quarts of oil. 

With a good electric pump I can change the oil in the time it takes to wipe down the boat.  There is also zero mess as I got a fitting where my pump just screws into the end of the drain hose from the oil pan.  I just hook up the pump to the drain hose, turn it on and let it drain while wiping down the boat.  As long as the oil is hot it will be completely drained when I am done wiping down and I will refill the oil before putting it in the boat shed.  I always refill the oil right after it is done draining but will generally put the new filter on right before taking it out the next time so I don't have to deal with a hot filter. 

Fwiw....70ish is around where mine is when surfing and wakeboarding.  When idling I am around 30-33.  From my experience the Fords run higher pressure than my previous 409.  With my 409 I would be 60 max and 20-25 at idle.

Imo I bet you are fine, just confirm proper oil viscosity was used, check level and monitor oil pressure gauge.

Edited by Fman