Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Indmar 320 exhaust manifold temps

Did oil change and impeller on my friends older Malibu skier.  Boat has 246 hours on it.  When running the boat I noticed port side exhaust manifold is much warmer than starboard.  Have equal amounts of water coming out both exhaust ports.  The hotter manifold is uncomfortably hot when touching with your hand.  The starboard side is much cooler.  Is this normal or anything to be concerned about?  Anything we should check?

20180531_161127.jpg

There is a hose connecting to each manifold.  With equal amounts of water coming out both exhausts would this indicate everything in trans cooler is clean?  I would think if there was something plugged up one exhaust port would have more or less water coming out.

I am just throwing some ideas out... I have zero experience working on one of these engines.  Although they seem very basic and easy, just a SB 350 carbureted.

20180603_181234.jpg

Edited by Fman

If that boat has the crossover hose (like mine), it would let water come out both exhaust ports even if water is only making its way thru one manifold.  That crossover is under the floor in the 3" rubber sections of the exhaust.  Is one rubber hose getting hotter too?

5 hours ago, electricjohn said:

If that boat has the crossover hose (like mine), it would let water come out both exhaust ports even if water is only making its way thru one manifold.  That crossover is under the floor in the 3" rubber sections of the exhaust.  Is one rubber hose getting hotter too?

No both hoses feel cool, that is what kind of threw me.  I will dig into trans cooler and see what I can find.  Wont be able to get to it until next week sometime.  Its my friends boat and he leaves for  a houseboat trip in a couple weeks.  Just want to make sure he is good to go.  He ran it last summer as it is now with no problems so maybe its just the way this boat runs?

@Fman:  When you were running the boat, I assume in the driveway, was it tilted and if yes was the higher manifold the hotter one?  At low water flow rates you can starve one of the manifolds for water.  I would not make an assumption this is the issue particularly since a trip is on the horizon.  Hoses can feel cool even if not much water is going through them.  I would do as noted, check oil cooler for trash and also look at inlet fittings to the exhaust manifolds.  Also, given what looks like a  T fitting for the exhaust water inlet, at low flow rates the last path the water wants to take is the 90 degree turn in to the manifold, where does the lower hose go to?  Or is that a deceiving visual and the lower hose is actually below and that is a 90 elbow to the manifold?   Be careful, my neighbors Indmar, that had an overheat event, had several of the plastic elbows become brittle and had some internal bubbling of the plastic.  They broke when attempting remove the hoses.  Your picture does not show any evidence of that so probably not an issue, in fact that one looks well maintained. 

Check the oil cooler for debris (as everyone is saying); I had the same issue last year, discovered debris that had been in there for 7+ years.  Now both my manifolds are even.  And yes, on the driveway I had equal amounts of water coming out of both manifolds.