Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What have you forgotten???

Agman

So yesterday I got off work and we rushed to get out to the lake. Hurry and hook up boat, grab all life vests. Close garage and we were off, grabbed some fuel, ice and few snacks and made it up to the lake by 3! Perfect timing. I loaded up the ice chest into the boat and I stood there for a moment and thought.... Huh..... where are my surf boards???? I left them in the garage!! :Frustrated:. Had several friends meet us up there to ride and I disappointed all of them. What have you guys forgot on a trip?

• Like 1

On the first outing last year,  none of our tow ropes made it back into the boat.  We discovered this while getting ready to surf.  We were able to put together something together which got us a few runs.  

Forgetting boards would have been worse!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, jrvs23 said:

Boat keys. I don't remember why I took them out. Now keep a spare set in the tow vehicle.

And I keep spare tow vehicle keys in the boat.

Forgetting to gas up certainly sucked.  Got on the water early to avoid the crowd and realized I was close to empty to late to avoid the crowd when trying to get back on the lake.  In retrospect I would have been much better off buying a few new gas cans.

Once I went up to pick my boat up from warranty work (about 90 minutes away) to find that I left the key to my locking hitch pin at home in my RV. I had the pin locked in the receiver for safe keeping. Now have spare keys in both tow vehicles. 

Keys..... Been there. Went on a hunting trip and put all my gear in the bed of the truck, locked the camper shell and promptly left the keys on the counter..... Had a heck of a time finding a locksmith in Wendover, Nevada. 

Forgot to put truck in park on launch ramp. Truck in reverse running, parking brake on,(good thing I keep it adjusted good) Solo launch so climbed in boat started and put in reverse to back off trailer. Looked forward and seen truck reverse lights on. May have soiled myself a bit before Slamming boat back to bow roller and leaving it in gear to push forward, jumped out and back in truck to put in PARK!

Have never forgot that again.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Forgot to put current registration sticker on the boat. Of course local law enforcement was at the dock. Explained I forgot it - he smiled and said no problem - unless you put your boat in the water!

• Like 3

Our weekend lake is 75 miles away.  We like to leave early, so I typically prep everything the night before.  My wife is the organized one and has a check list she reads off to me once I tell her I’m done.  (Boards check, vests check, ropes check, etc.) We were so busy the night before, we didn’t go through the list.  Got to the lake to launch this Saturday and my kids ask where their vests are.  s***, I forgot the vests!  We had friends meeting us at they lake and we were not going to turn around and call the day a wash.  I ended up dropping the boat in the water, and my wife,kids, and friends family all hung out while I jammed over the closest sporting good store and bought 4 new vests.  $220 later, we were back in the water.  Ended up being a great day, and they only waited about 30 min for me. 

Edited by SCMike
On 6/30/2018 at 9:27 AM, Agman said:

Such a dummy........ I forgot to turn off my inverter on the houseboat. Came up late last night and all batteries are at 11.9. Awesome 

That's exactly why I have 9 250w solar panels and 8 L16 deep cycle batteries on my houseboat!  Now I leave the inverter on all season...

Dave

2 hours ago, malibuskier2003 said:

That's exactly why I have 9 250w solar panels and 8 L16 deep cycle batteries on my houseboat!  Now I leave the inverter on all season...

Dave

That’s my next upgrade to the ‘ol gal. Currently I have 3 Interstate house batteries and 1 cranking battery. 2 solar panels and they keep up with what I have. When I left Sunday they were at 12.7

About a month ago I took the boat and family to a spot about an hour down the Mississippi from our house for our first wakeboard/surf outing of the year.  Got the boat launched and headed out only to realize I left all the boards in the back of the truck at the landing.  No big deal, we'll just go back and get them.  We were almost back to the launch when I realized it wouldn't matter since I forgot to put the tow ball back on the top of the tower when I pulled the boat out of the garage.  If I had only put in a 8' garage door when I built the house it wouldn't have happened.

Lesson learned, I now have a checklist so it doesn't happen again. 

• Like 1

I forgot the battery for our jetski....and also forgot the battery I bought last year after I forgot the jetski battery. Not buying a 3rd battery.  

I think it's a sign and am just keeping it off the water this season. 

On 6/12/2018 at 8:51 AM, MadMan said:

I actually keep my spare boat key on the boat.

Same here. Mine is zip tied to my orange boat tool box that never leaves the boat. I also dont ever take the key out of the ignition. 

Drain plug....now I have spares on boat and in truck.  At least i saw it before launching!  Had my friend pick up a few on the way to meet me so not too big of a deal.

On 6/30/2018 at 9:27 AM, Agman said:

Such a dummy........ I forgot to turn off my inverter on the houseboat. Came up late last night and all batteries are at 11.9. Awesome 

I've got a 4.1kW system feeding 8x lifeline GPL-6CT 300Ah via a Midnite Classic 150 with 15x Canadian Solar CS6K-275 panels going to a Magnum MS4048. It reports in via a cellular uplink added to an AT&T unlimited plan for $20/month. I can turn the system on/off whenever I want to as well as monitor the current power generation and consumption. Upgrading from the 2 panels I had to the 15 panels I have now was close to the same cost estimate as replacing the bimini canvas (approx 15x35) with a solid roof. Let me know if you want the cliff notes.

Forgetting the keys to the houseboat is a classic bonehead move, but the marina rules are that they keep a set of entry and ignition keys for all the boats in their office. Forgetting the kids life jackets is another big "whoops" since they have to wear them, even on the dock, until they turn 13; Now I keep a set on the houseboat and a set in the Malibu.