Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2018 23LSV Break In Period

AltaVisaRider

I'm the furthest thing from a motorhead but isn't the break in more about longterm life than short term?  Even an abused engine will probably make it out of the warranty period. 

Maybe a properly broken engine will last longer than one that was not?  Only problem is with so many factors, there is really no way to prove this one way or another.

1 hour ago, vanamp said:

I'm the furthest thing from a motorhead but isn't the break in more about longterm life than short term?  Even an abused engine will probably make it out of the warranty period. 

Maybe a properly broken engine will last longer than one that was not?  Only problem is with so many factors, there is really no way to prove this one way or another.

This is my thought and historically I have only held on to my boats for a couple years.   I guess the guy who ends up with my boat is getting one of the few that actually follows the Indmar break in procedures.  It is a long 10 hours but for some reason helps me sleep better at night.:)  Every boat I have ever sold with over 200+ hours has always passed a leak down test and inspection with flying colors.

5 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Don’t forget @The Hulk with that epic thread on his 23 lsv. 

That boat was used with 26hrs on it.. past break in period! Well at least that was a great reason to buy that one.. 

Hey when someone says your all ready to go drop her in...don't believe them.. 

Don't worry I'm still depressed a Bayliner has a better safety features and engine alarm than my 25lsv.. 

Edited by The Hulk
23 hours ago, MadMan said:

20 years ago there were 2 items in an engine that required breaking in.  The flat tappet lifters/camshaft and the piston rings.  Every engine now has roller tappets and rings that are seated in a cylinder during the manufacturing of the rings.

I'm not sure if this current breaking period is an Indmar or a GM thing.  What's the required break in procedure on a new Chevy truck?

Incorrect. Rings seat into the cylinder they are going to live in (the motor). You cannot "seat" rings in a different cylinder. There are differences.

5 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Incorrect. Rings seat into the cylinder they are going to live in (the motor). You cannot "seat" rings in a different cylinder. There are differences.

This is not my experience at all.  Every set of rings I've bought since the mid '90s has been described as pre-seated.  These rings were developed for OEMS's and every vehicle I've bought since then has not used any oil during the first few thousand miles.  This is in contrast to the '70s and '80s engines (and before).

This came back directly from Indmar....

We like to see a few hours of “easy running” to give the rotating and friction producing components an opportunity to “wear-in”. Piston rings, main bearings, rod bearings, valves all take some time to get acclimated and a short break in period helps with that. The amount of time the boat builder runs the engine fully loaded at WOT is relatively short and the likelihood of damage being done during that test cycle is minimal. We do occasionally see glazed cylinder walls and ring seating issues that are attributed to improper break-in that are not warrantable failures. You can follow the break-in procedure or not. Chances are we will never know it. But if I just spent $100,000 plus on a boat , I would want to follow the recommendations … even if they seemed like they were overkill.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Marine Engines

901-353-9930

3 hours ago, MadMan said:

This is not my experience at all.  Every set of rings I've bought since the mid '90s has been described as pre-seated.  These rings were developed for OEMS's and every vehicle I've bought since then has not used any oil during the first few thousand miles.  This is in contrast to the '70s and '80s engines (and before).

Rings seat to the cylinder they are in.

Perhaps you mean pre gapped?

Edited by 23LSVOwner