Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2018 23LSV Break In Period

AltaVisaRider

I am just getting ready to take delivery next week of my new 2018 LSV 23 that I ordered.  The dealer says it is Malibu's Protocol,l to while checking everything out,t to go out and run the boat at surf speed with all the bags full. And also take the boat up to speed.  Along with other tests.  This seems contrary to the motor manufactures recommendation of first hour under 2,000 rpm next two hours under 3,000 rpm next seven hours under 4,000 rpm while varying speeds and not to operate with surf bags until ten hours.   Dealer puts about an hour on the boat testing.  I am then told to follow break in protocol.  Is this how most of you break your boats in.  The dealer water test doesn't quite make since to me.  Dealer said it is required testing by Malibu to enact the Warranty.  I would like to see the boat not run fast and with out bags filled until broken in.  Thanks for any replies.  

Our break in was very similar to what you said. Though we did varying RPMs for the hours 3-10 and did not fill ballast until 10 hours was on the engine. 

Not sure what Malibu does at the factory. 

Yes seems weird but the factory does a full water test including full ballast, wedge and surf gate function.   Dealer should do the same once it arrives to make sure it is all working before you take delivery.   I followed the 10 hour break in recommendations.  No ballast, etc...   Does seem contrary to what they need to do.  Figure they can see the black box and do not want to void the warranty by not following the break in procedure just in case something does go wrong.  

Have fun with the new boat!   

I’ve been on a few dealer demo’s(4) and all of the boats had less than 10hrs, (one had 2 hrs )  ballast tanks were filled, RPM’s we’re probably between 3-4K , wakeboarding and surfing was done and there was no discussion of break in.

that being said , when I took delivery of my 14’ I putted that thing around for 2 hrs the night we took it home and 3 hours the following day, at the 5 hr mark i couldn’t contain myself and needed to Surf.

My 17 was purchased with 65ish hours , and who knows what kind of crazy hairball treatment it got before it made its way to me. 

@IXFE

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

can someone please please please post a link to a thread where someone was ever denied warranty coverage based on ECM break in data? 

Why would you not do it how the manufacturer suggests?  Why take the risk IF something went wrong during your warranty period?  I dont think they print those manuals for the heck of it.

Edited by Fman

When I purchased my boat, we did a lake demo at 0.8 hours.  It was about 30mins long, but included filling the ballast tanks, showing off the surf wave, speed, handling, etc.  Dealer broke all the 'rules' so if anything goes wrong it's their fault!! :) Once purchased, I didn't get too crazy.  Mainly varied rpms, no long sustained rpm runs.  Basically took a couple cruises around the lake exploring. 

I have worked in a high performance race engine shop for 20 years building engines for NASCAR and other forms of racing so I have my thoughts on the break-in procedure based on that, but it's Indmar's warranty so their opinion is really the only one who counts.  Therefore, I would suggest trying to follow it to some degree. :thumbup:

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I’ve been on a few dealer demo’s(4) and all of the boats had less than 10hrs, (one had 2 hrs )  ballast tanks were filled, RPM’s we’re probably between 3-4K , wakeboarding and surfing was done and there was no discussion of break in.

that being said , when I took delivery of my 14’ I putted that thing around for 2 hrs the night we took it home and 3 hours the following day, at the 5 hr mark i couldn’t contain myself and needed to Surf.

My 17 was purchased with 65ish hours , and who knows what kind of crazy hairball treatment it got before it made its way to me. 

@IXFE

My break-in procedure was by the book. You should know.  You were there...

CE9DA026-B4E8-4115-B3EE-FC926BB62F41.jpeg

• Like 3

Just saying we do not do it with new vehicles.  I know the constant RPM argument but honestly no need to break in a Ford or Chevy 6.2L engine.  Not even a mention.

1 hour ago, Fman said:

Why would you not do it how the manufacturer suggests?  Why take the risk IF something went wrong during your warranty period?  I dont think they print those manuals for the heck of it.

My question is really whether this is a true risk, based on evidence. 

Also, does anyone know of anyone who has ever been arrested for cutting the tags off of a mattress?

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

My question is really whether this is a true risk, based on evidence. 

Also, does anyone know of anyone who has ever been arrested for cutting the tags off of a mattress?

I think its more "common sense" like it states in the manual.  Assuming Ford engineers/Indmar came up with this break in procedure for a reason.  Pulling a tag of a mattress? LOL...Oh man....seriously?  Your talking about 100k boats my friend with 15k-20k engines.  Then mind as well skip all the oil change intervals, impeller changes, trans services, etc like the manual tells people to do.  Probably a bunch of mumbo jumbo BS they don't have any idea what they are talking about.

To each is own just seems like "common sense" is to follow what the manufacturer of the engine tells you to do.  And if a warranty claim is denied it wont be the dealer it will be Indmar.  I doubt anyone who has been denied a warranty claim from not following break in procedures is going to come on a public forum and let everyone know about it.

20 years ago there were 2 items in an engine that required breaking in.  The flat tappet lifters/camshaft and the piston rings.  Every engine now has roller tappets and rings that are seated in a cylinder during the manufacturing of the rings.

I'm not sure if this current breaking period is an Indmar or a GM thing.  What's the required break in procedure on a new Chevy truck?

6 hours ago, Fman said:

I think its more "common sense" like it states in the manual.  Assuming Ford engineers/Indmar came up with this break in procedure for a reason.  Pulling a tag of a mattress? LOL...Oh man....seriously?  Your talking about 100k boats my friend with 15k-20k engines.  Then mind as well skip all the oil change intervals, impeller changes, trans services, etc like the manual tells people to do.  Probably a bunch of mumbo jumbo BS they don't have any idea what they are talking about.

To each is own just seems like "common sense" is to follow what the manufacturer of the engine tells you to do.  And if a warranty claim is denied it wont be the dealer it will be Indmar.  I doubt anyone who has been denied a warranty claim from not following break in procedures is going to come on a public forum and let everyone know about it.

Does common sense then dictate that one should never buy a boat that a dealer has demoed?  What about the fact that Malibu does put the hammer down on every new boat before it's shipped?  How does the engine know that it's Malibu or a dealer and not the owner who's using the boat? 

Or how about the fact that the same engines get used in vtxs and 25lsvs... The 25 weighs 2100 lbs more than the vtx.  How does the 25 engine know that it's not a vtx motor that's being whooped on with full ballast the moment the boat hits the water? 

I'm all for common sense, but that's where it sorta breaks down for me...

Which is not to say I cannot be wrong.  If this is something to really worry about, where are the blown motor threads?

• Like 3
10 hours ago, NHolladay said:

Just saying we do not do it with new vehicles.  I know the constant RPM argument but honestly no need to break in a Ford or Chevy 6.2L engine.  Not even a mention.

I was told not to tow for the first 500 miles because of break in, a trip to Vegas and back covered that.

8 hours ago, Fman said:

Not to mention IF something goes wrong, “I don’t know what happened, I was just cruising at 20, no one in the boat and it just started acting up.”  Rarely a customer tells you what really happened.  

Edited by wakebrdr94
3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Does common sense then dictate that one should never buy a boat that a dealer has demoed?  What about the fact that Malibu does put the hammer down on every new boat before it's shipped?  How does the engine know that it's Malibu or a dealer and not the owner who's using the boat? 

Or how about the fact that the same engines get used in vtxs and 25lsvs... The 25 weighs 2100 lbs more than the vtx.  How does the 25 engine know that it's not a vtx motor that's being whooped on with full ballast the moment the boat hits the water? 

I'm all for common sense, but that's where it sorta breaks down for me...

Which is not to say I cannot be wrong.  If this is something to really worry about, where are the blown motor threads?

Do you think anyone who blew a motor is going to come out on a forum and tell everyone?  I would be embararrased as heck, especially if I was the guy who just went out and hammered my boat from day one and did not do proper break in.

Regardless of what happens at Malibu or your dealer I would just tell anyone buying a new boat to follow the manufacturer recommended break in procedures.  Along with all maintenance verifications keeping receipts.  It is definitely not going to hurt anything doing a proper break in and give new owner peace of mind it was done properly.    We all know the ECM will record a lot of data on how the boat is being used.  If you did have a catastrophic failure and had good ECM data to back it up would be a lot less headaches for a warranty claim.  Indmar has already layed out the requirements on paper and I bet would run ECM data to confirm if there was a warranty request from a dealer for a blown engine.  That would be a hefty bill.

I do agree its probably a very small percentage of engines but man it would really suck to be the guy it happened to.

I gotta ask how did you break in your T22?  Please let us know how it should be done.

@Fman I have a pcm motor so I used their “hammer down” full throttle max rpms protocol. 

The fact that that protocol is so different from indmar’s is what makes me think this is mostly a nonissue. 

There are certainly people who come on here all the time to cry about their lemon boats (that guy who ran into a bridge with his tower and then complained about spider cracking comes to mind). The fact that there aren’t any “warranty denied because of ecm data” threads seems surprising to me in that context. 

35 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

@Fman I have a pcm motor so I used their “hammer down” full throttle max rpms protocol. 

The fact that that protocol is so different from indmar’s is what makes me think this is mostly a nonissue. 

There are certainly people who come on here all the time to cry about their lemon boats (that guy who ran into a bridge with his tower and then complained about spider cracking comes to mind). The fact that there aren’t any “warranty denied because of ecm data” threads seems surprising to me in that context. 

I see... full throttle varied? Interesting PCM and indmar have two different methods.  What about loading ballast?

20180603_073124.thumb.png.f6a2b962d5faf4512395d3a2b3247618.png

Edited by Fman
6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Don’t forget @The Hulk with that epic thread on his 23 lsv.